User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: URGENT!! Quaker lethargic and ill

Parrots

cockatiel, quaker parrot, budgies

Unhappy URGENT!! Quaker lethargic and ill

My 12 year old quaker, Honey just very abruptly started being lethargic and seems extremely ill. He was completely normal last night when he had his timeout of his cage, but i woke up this morning to find him lying on the bottom of the cage, fluffed up. i tried to step him up but he wouldnt,he would try to move his legs but he couldnt so i picked him up, which he usually bites me when i pick him up, but he just laid there, looking lifeless in my hands. I tried to feed him and he would try to bite off pieces but then would drop them. he did lick a drop of water off of my finger though. There are no exotic vets that take in birds in my area. He is the light of my life and i'm heartbroken but i just don't know what to do. I have him beside me with a bowl of food and water just in case he tries to eat or drink. ive had him since i was a child, and he has always helped me through tough times, but i just dont know if he will make it. please someone help!!

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Take him to your local vet asap! The vet may be able to contact an avian vet and get advice. Go to an emergency vet if need be. By the time birds show their illness, they are really sick. Good luck and please let us know how you make out.

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Immediate medical attention by a vet is crucial. Instead of giving him water try pedialyte. You can get it a most drug stores usually in the baby section.

I do hope honey is okay. Please let us know.

4. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-20-2018)

Parrots

Thank you. I can't get him in to the vet until tomorrow, unfortunately. Although i am off to the store to get some pedialyte. I really hope he makes it through the night. I'm heartbroken.

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    I pray that Honey pulls through. How is his appetite and plumage?
    Casper is fine again after his recent illness but poor Max belonging to MacawMomma passed away last week despite being treated and we are all still in shock.
    Can you think about what possibly could be affecting Honey, have you been painting or using other chemicals in the house? Have you used a different cage cleaner or opened a new pack of food? I ask about the new food for two reasons, firstly there might be a problem with the new pack and secondly if the old food has been around for quite a while it might have become contaminated.
    Please let us know how you get on.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

7. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-21-2018)

Parrots

He made it through the night thankfully. He has gotten a bit better, he is now eating and drinking more He wont eat on his own so i've been hand feeding him and giving him his pedialyte and water with a syringe. This morning he actually made a little squeak, he didn't make any noise yesterday. He also had been moving his head around. Although I am starting to wonder if something is wrong with his legs, he cant seem to move his legs at all and falls over every few minutes so i have him in this ferret bed thing so he can stay upright. But the weird thing is I haven't changed anything ive been doing in the house, I've never painted or used any harsh chemicals because i'm scared of harming my pets, I just use vinegar and castille soap to clean the house and i use diluted vinegar to clean their cages. I've also always used the same food, always the same routine which is why I'm so confused about this situation. His feathers seem the same but he has constantly been fluffed up since yesterday.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Is it possible he has had a seizure? Definitely a vet check is the best thing for him. They may be able to sort out his difficulties.
    So thankful to read that he seems to be doing better

Parrots

So glad he made it through the night and you are able to get some nourishment into him. Is his poop normal?
    They do seem to fluff up when they are poorly, I suppose they need to keep warm because they are not moving about.
    Helena might be right in thinking that he has had a stroke or a seizure so a visit to the vet is a priority.

Parrots

Association of Avian Veterinarians has a find a vet page, maybe there is one with an emergency number you can call starting nearest to where you live.
    http://www.aav.org/search/custom.asp?id=1803

12. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-21-2018)

Parrots

I dont know, one night he was normal then the next morning he was like this, so maybe he could have had a seizure, but i didn't see it. Although, unfortunately his condition is now worsening. yesterday he could stand up on his own, he just couldn't move his feet, but today he cannot hold himself up at all and needs to be supported at all times or he will face plant. He is eating way less. He is still taking his diluted pedialyte.