User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to buy bulk food

Parrots

My newly adopted macaw lucky and hubby bird cheiwe duskey headed conure

Where to buy bulk food

So with all thats going on in my life im trying to stay stocked up on pet food the volkman featherglow i het for lucky is not to spendy for such a small ammount im trying to find a place i can buy decent food in bulk for the boys thanks

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    What kind of food are they eating? Pellets? Seed? Do they eat fresh foods?

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    What kind of food are they eating? Pellets? Seed? Do they eat fresh foods?
    They have been eating volkman feather glow along with fresh grapes bannanas berrys also going to start making birdie bread they get fresh cooked organic otmeal once in awhile. Trying to get them to eat more greens but lucky is picky carrots kinda wheterver fresh stuff i have also looking for other recipes that are easy to make save and use as things are pretty tough for me atm

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I checked to see what was in the Volkman's. Is it warm when they eat it? If so, you might be able to chop up carrots, peppers etc and warm up some fruit juice to mix it with. The temperature might entice them to eat it. Can you buy any dried vegetables where you are, like at a bulk bin store? You can add a few chopped nuts to the mix for the crunch factor. You could check Nuts.com to see if they have any of the dried products that is in the Volkman's and you could try to make your own recipe.

Parrots

I feed lucky the larfe parrot food from volkman and chewoe gets the small hookbill food and for veggies o give them what i have they dont seem to like it and o could bulid my own mix ill look into that see of i can put a blen that isnt to spendy togather ive been having a rough time and want to make sure i stock up on food now when i have a little money it sucks because amazon keeps upling the price of the stuff i buy them

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)

7. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-19-2018), SparklyBirdPoo (04-08-2018)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Two things about keeping bulk buys, don't let the feed get stale and keep the vermin out
    We tried getting larger bags of food for Casper but by the time we were half way down the bag he wouldn't eat much of it, just tossed it out of the food dish.
    Keep the food in the bag it came in but get as much air out as possible before closing the bag. Then put bag in "tupperware" plastic box.
    We had a problem with ants last summer, they were getting into the kitchen through a tiny crack under the window and them making their way to the food cupboard. It took three attempts to get rid of them.
    We fortunately don't have mice or roaches but occasionally see a rat scavenging under the wild bird feeder in the garden. So put poison in lengths of plastic pipe where other animals can't reach it. It seems to do the trick. When we bought our house back in 1975 we had derelict buildings on three sides. Fortunately all have been made into nice housing over the years so the rat problem has mostly gone away.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

9. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-19-2018), SparklyBirdPoo (04-08-2018)

Parrots

Angel - Cockatiel Crystal - Budgie Kiwi - Budgie
    I put my fids food in a plastic bin, i didnt think about keeping it in the bag, i figured it would be fine as long as it was covered and snapped. Plus I always add a few of my own things to the mix.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180408_142425.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	79.5 KB 
ID:	5175Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20180408_142432.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	5176

Do u think I should up it in like a garbage bag?
    Angel
    Crystal
    Kiwi

Super Moderator

Parrots

I keep some of my food in bins as well. I get the kind that has a rubber gasket in the lid.

12. The following user likes this post:

SparklyBirdPoo (04-09-2018)

Parrots

Thank you all i didn find bulk food for him i keep it in my trailer away from pests such as rats and i have a tub with a locking lid i use on the daily im just on my last container of food for lucky so ill be checking all the links and such as again im super tight on money i have not been doing that great with out my hubby here lol but me and all the pets are well and thats all that matters

14. The following user likes this post:

Lady (04-11-2018)