User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I want to train my birds but...

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Lihra is a very pretty name. I agree with getting a second cage. You can set them up side by side. You will have much better success training them if you are only working with one bird at a time. One thing to remember is that when you stick your hand in their cage, you are entering the only "safe" place they have. That's why they react the way they do. Take things slow and easy and give them the time they need to settle in and to get to know you. They have had so many changes.

2. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (01-12-2018), PlaxMacaws (01-12-2018)

AHHHHHHHHHHHH! LIHRA'S OUT OF HER CAGE!!! WHAT DO I DO?! I DON'T HAVE A PHONE WITH ME I LET SOMEONE BORROW IT I CAN'T CALL ANYONE! SHE WON'T LET ME COME NEAR HER, SHE STARTS FLYING ALL OVER THE PLACE!!! **** **** **** WHAT DO I DO HELP!
    I've tried calming her down, I've tried giving her food, I've walking out and just letting things happen... SHE KEEPS SLAMMING INTO WALLS!! I THINK SHE MAY BE INJURED, I CAN'T FIND HER NOW, AND SHE'S NOT CHIRPING ANYMORE!!! THIS COULD BE BAD! I CAN'T EVEN CALL EMERGENCY VET SERVICES!
    Please, someone tell me what to do!! Damn it, I hate this situation.. ****
    Edit: **** I got lucky... The person who borrowed my phone came over...
    I immediately called a vet, and did what she told me to do. Her advice was to throw a towel over her head and gently grab her... Luckily she wasn't injured, and everything's looking good now... But man.. That was terrifying... I never thought I'd be so intimidated by a bird flying over my head.
    But this did help me understand what it's like for something unknown to invade my safe space... I lost a lot of trust points today with Lihra, she was just so freaked out and so was I that I couldn't even see straight...
    Ugh... What... What a day... She's back safely in her cage now... And I'm so thankful...
    Gonna have to do a lot to earn back her trust AGAIN....
    Anyway... I feel like this at least had some upsides... She at least got to explore and learn about where she was a little bit more...
    And I learned what it was like when something invades my personal space... But still...
    Gonna take a while to earn her trust again. Great.
    Last edited by hypershadic11; 01-12-2018 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Problem solved... Ugh.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Thank goodness you were able to get Lihra back in her cage. How did she get out? Better keep a towel handy in case it happens again.
    Earning a bird's trust is a journey. Sometimes there are curves in the road. I am sure she will be fine.

Well... I took the bottom part of their cage out (It just slides out from under the bars) to refill it with cleaner newspapers... And I had already accidentally left the door open from cleaning their food and water bowls... So when I came back in, I found Lihra on the cage door (Which really shocked me, since they NEVER go near the door, always above it) and tried to run to it as fast as I could to shut it before she could fly off, but... This startled her big time. She immediately took off and started going crazy in my room.
    Luckily I shut the door before Jake got any bright ideas... But... Lihra was free. Ugh.
    What a day... It was quite tiring.
    Uh... Right after I typed this, I noticed some strange behavior from Lihra....
    She can't drink from her water bowl, but she usually has no problem with it... Weird...
    They have to bend over to reach their bowls, from a higher stick... Which usually isn't a problem, and they can do it pretty easily, either that or they just hop on to the bowls, as they're mounted on tight... But I noticed Lihra's having trouble keeping balance... She can't drink anything, and her wing's spread, and... Huh... I'll have to tell the vet about this.
    Oh and luckily, I was able to have them keep calm with my hand in their cage again for a few seconds, and was able to award them with some treats.
    Last edited by hypershadic11; 01-12-2018 at 10:12 PM.

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Strangely, Casper's first introduction to Margaret was when, after about half an hour of trying to persuade him to move from the tiny cage he had been trapped in for ten years into a new superduper luxury cage, she just reached in and grabbed him. (She is very brave). We then spent several weeks trying to find a suitable family for him to live with before he decided that Margaret was his new best friend, flying for the first time in ten years across a room to land on her shoulder and we realised we were now the guardians of a parrot that we had no knowledge of how to care for.
    So the reason for that long and rambling story (which others may have read before) is to point out that sometimes being forceful with them works out and they respect you for being flock captain.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Well thank you lol but I've had to use some force as well a couple of times for cage cleaning...
    When coaxing them out with food didn't work, I just fished them out pretty much......
    Of course... I didn't leave them freaked out. And I took extreme care not to hurt them... I pretty much caught them, and then held them for a while whistling to them, trying to keep them as calm as possible, and petting their heads.
    But... I need to get their beaks trimmed... And claws... Because their bites hurt like hell lol...
    I'm just...
    So happy everything is working out though.
    I didn't think I was gonna be able to take care of these two... But things are actually looking good. Thank you, everyone who came to help me out in my crisis, lol.
    I'll try to keep you all updated for when we go to the vet.

Finally, FINALLY got some news from a vet... The two are perfectly fine, thank goodness.... I got some spray millet, and cuttlebone for the two so they can have a better diet... Plus bought them a toy so they're not sitting in a boring cage all day long with each other.. After that Jake just kind of stopped beating up Lihra and started beating the crap out of the toy XD it still happens every now and again, Jake's a bit of a bully... But like... Once every day maybe.
    I'm going back in a week or so to get the bird's wings clipped, and their nails trimmed... And AWESOME update!!!!! I got Lihra (not jake the little brat) to eat from my hand!!! It... Was awesome lol
    The vet told me to talk to them, as they're actually very social birds... And when I do they just kind of ... Stop moving lol and just kind of look at me without panicking or anything, and just kind of listen XD I think it's adorable lol
    ANYWAY! They're LOVING the spray millet and cuttlebone I got for them, they're eating that **** up..... A little too fast... And now I'm wondering... (If anyone here is still following this thread) how often and how much should I feed them spray millet to keep them at a healthy diet? Because I put two in there... And they ate it all pretty much in one day. They love that **** man.....
    Any advice on that? Lol

9. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-07-2018), Dragonlady2 (02-07-2018)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Hey great news. Some of us here are against wing clipping but realise that for certain situations it may be necessary. The good news is that it isn't permanent so after you have tried them with their wings clipped you may decide that when they moult the clipped feathers you don't need to get it done again.
    Maybe just get the males wings clipped so that the female can escape when set upon.
    Millet, not sure about how often, someone else will be able to advise.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

11. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (02-07-2018), Lady (02-13-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

A small sprig of millet is fine, however, as with all seed, moderation is the key. Fresh food and pellets are the best options with seed as a snack.
    Great work on gaining Lihra's trust!

13. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-07-2018), Lady (02-13-2018)

I've heard about the whole debate with wing clipping.... I'm slightly against it, but at this point if I don't do it, I won't be able to let them out of their cage without them flying into walls and everything else... They'll grow back, so honestly, like you said, I'm halfway fine with it since the situation calls for it.
    About the millet, I'm thinking (for moderations sake) every two days at night after they've finished their bowl, I'll cut one in half, and hang it from the top of their cage. That'll save me money and keep them balanced... I hope lol...

15. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (02-07-2018), Dragonlady2 (02-07-2018), Lady (02-13-2018)