User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Scared that Max is sick [emoji17]

Parrots

Katie- 23 yr old Catalina Macaw

Scared that Max is sick

Max isn’t himself Yesterday I noticed him getting sleepy midday but he perked up and was active last night. This morning he wasn’t as excited to get out of his cage, he ate and pooped like normal but he just seemed off. The way I knew something was up was he didn’t squawk once when Katie was out of his sight- VERY abnormal for him!!! So far symptoms are- napping and quiet and just not perky. I called the Avian Vet so I take him in at 2pm, pray he’s ok and I’m just being paranoid ❤️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our rescue birds~

23 yr old Katie - Catalina Macaw
    39 yr old Max- GW Macaw
    1 yr old Nibbles- GC Conure
    ADOPT DON’T SHOP

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    How is his appetite, has he been eating well recently? It would be a horrible coincidence if he had the same strange mystery illness as Casper but at least we know how to treat it.
    Get well soon little buddy.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    How is his appetite, has he been eating well recently? It would be a horrible coincidence if he had the same strange mystery illness as Casper but at least we know how to treat it.
    Get well soon little buddy.
    He’s eating great and same big poops

It’s only day 1.5 of him not being himself so he might not be showing any symptoms

I’d rather get him in and looked at 🤞

Our rescue birds~

39 yr old Max- GW Macaw
    ADOPT DON’T SHOP

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    FWIW, Salsa sometimes also has off days. He has always seemed to bounce back within a day or so. I hope Max begins feeling better very soon!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

Parrots

Yes, hopefully its nothing, let us know how it goes at the vet clinic.
    I forgot to mention that we were chatting with a woman who has two budgies in the vets waiting room and she showed us photos on her phone of a huge sea eagle that had been there last time she visited. That takes avian veterinary care to a whole new level. If Casper had met it they probably would have had a discussion over which fish they preferred

Parrots

Thank you all for the kind words, Jean-Pierre I know how you feel. They are keeping Max until they can find out what’s going on with him

Really happy we got him in when we did, by the time I got him to the vet at 2pm he was so sleepy and could barely keep his eyes open.

The vet explained that his heart condition that they diagnosed him with was Atherosclerosis which is hardening of the arteries very common in poor diets and inactive birds among others.

They can only guess he has this based on his previous symptoms and his X-rays. His symptoms that he was showing today coincides with this as well. He’s not on his heart medication because of how sick he got on it last year so it could’ve either gotten worse or it could be something else.

Either way, they are doing an X-ray, an echo gram and full blood work to try to find what’s going on.

I’m happy he’s in great hands but it’s so heartbreaking seeing him like this

Our rescue birds~

39 yr old Max- GW Macaw
    ADOPT DON’T SHOP

Parrots

Our thoughts are with you and Max. How have Katie and Nibbles reacted to his absence? Plotting some mischief while you are out at the vets no doubt.

8. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-05-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Thanks for the update. Hopefully, the vets will be able to sort out how to best help Max and he returns home soon.

10. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (01-05-2018), MacawMomma (01-05-2018), PlaxMacaws (01-05-2018)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Our thoughts are with you and Max. How have Katie and Nibbles reacted to his absence? Plotting some mischief while you are out at the vets no doubt.
    Katie, Nibbles, and Oscar (the Amazon we’ve been boarding for my in laws) have all been surprisingly quiet. They definitely miss him. Katie was extra clingy last night

Gosh it’s hard putting them to bed and seeing his empty cage

Our rescue birds~

39 yr old Max- GW Macaw
    ADOPT DON’T SHOP

12. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (01-05-2018), Dragonlady2 (01-05-2018), kendrafitz (01-08-2018)

Parrots

The empty cage is very hard to get used to, every time you walk in the room you expect to be welcomed.

14. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-05-2018), kendrafitz (01-08-2018)