User Tag List

Thread: How long to let canary sit on infertile eggs?

How long to let canary sit on infertile eggs?

Hello.Our canary of 6 months which we thought was male turned out to be female.In the last week she has built a nest and us sitting on 3 infertile eggs. Not sure what to do .How long do we let her sit on them before removing and should we remove the nest too ? Thank you

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to the forum!

If you are able to get some fake canary eggs, I would replace the infertile eggs with them. If you are unable to find any, I would leave them for another week or two. She may lose interest in them in the meantime. Definitely take out the nest when you remove the eggs. I would also take out any materials that she can make a nest with. You want to discourage egg laying by creating an environment that is not conducive to nesting. For right now, you probably should give her a calcium supplement in case she lays again.

3. The following user likes this post:

Lady (01-08-2018)

Thank you .Does cuttlebone have calcium or does the calcium come in another form?

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Hello and Welcome to PP.
    Cuttle bone is an excellent source of Calcium. You could scrape some off the bone which is quite soft and sprinkle it on her food. This is less messy than mounting the bone in the cage which tends to look like there has been an explosion in a flour mill after Casper has been having a go at his. I think he enjoys the destruction more than the nutrients.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-04-2018), Lady (01-08-2018)

Thank you for that info

8. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (01-04-2018), Dragonlady2 (01-04-2018), Lady (01-08-2018)