User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Caspers an in-patient

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Thanks for the info about arsenic in soil, do we know where the bird food manufacturers source their rice, as you say China is cheapest.
    I'm not convinced that US-grown rice is immune from possessing significant levels of inorganic arsenic. My understanding is that because the root system of rice is submersed, it's not so much that the surrounding water may contain higher or lower levels of arsenic. But more that the water itself facilitates faster, more efficient absorption of said element into the plant. Inorganic arsenic comes from the soil. It leaches into the water, which transfers to the rice plants. Since naturally occurring soil levels of inorganic arsenic may be relatively high at any given location on our planet, I think that US-grown rice can be substantially hazardous as well.

http://grist.org/food/theres-arsenic...-it-got-there/
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

2. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (01-04-2018)

Parrots

Katie- 23 yr old Catalina Macaw
    So happy that Casper is Home!!! Great great news, poor little guy!!

Thank you for all the info on brown rice!!! I’d rather be overly cautious on things like that!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our rescue birds~

23 yr old Katie - Catalina Macaw
    39 yr old Max- GW Macaw
    1 yr old Nibbles- GC Conure
    ADOPT DON’T SHOP

4. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (01-04-2018), plax (01-05-2018)

Parrots

My newly adopted macaw lucky and hubby bird cheiwe duskey headed conure
    O man i just now read all this im so happy casper is ok im sure that was very scary for you guys .i hope caspers back to his mechivous self i love reading about him hes so handsome give him some extra head scritches from me and my flock

6. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (01-07-2018), Dragonlady2 (01-07-2018), Lady (01-08-2018), plax (01-07-2018)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Thanks Jenn, Casper is certainly back to his mischief and has started regaining lost weight. Being so light and on high energy diet seems to make flying easier for him despite him not having his metacam for arthritis at the moment. We have been giving him coconut milk which is supposed to help against arthritis. Sort of plan B. I will make sure he gets extra scritches from you.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

8. The following 5 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-07-2018), kendrafitz (01-07-2018), Lady (01-08-2018), Macaw Lover (01-07-2018), plax (01-07-2018)

Parrots

Update time
    Casper has been doing very well, but not putting on much weight so Margaret took him back to the vets today for a check-up. The vet is happy with how Casper is doing and has signed him off the antibiotics just leaving him on a twice weekly dose of liver meds.
    We are trying him on half a teaspoon of coconut milk every day instead of the metacam for his arthritis. He seems much more active now when awake so perhaps he was still overweight despite being 45 grams lighter than when he came to us. He is now 100 grams lighter at just over 350 grams. He still has quite a few naps during the day but when he is playing he chases all around the floor of the room trying to kill a plastic bottle and even does a bit of freelance flying.
    Our main concern is that he isn't eating much fruit apart from banana but his poop seems OK. Maybe now he is off the antibiotics he will get back into fruit and veg.
    We are happy as well because the vet didn't charge for today's visit

10. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-12-2018), Lady (01-19-2018), Mare (01-24-2018), plax (01-12-2018)

Parrots

I am sorry to bring the sad news that Casper passed away yesterday. He died of liver failure which had been a long term problem from before he came to us.
    He was bright and cheerful and eating well but regurgitating most of what he ate and unfortunately his medications as well. His weight was 456 grams when he came to us in 2012 with a fatty liver and 300 grams when he passed away.
    We buried him this afternoon under his favourite branch of the magnolia tree in our garden.
    Farewell little friend you brought us much joy and happiness, always keeping us entertained with your antics.

Casper the blue fronted Amazon 1st of May 1987 - 15th of March 2022 RIP

Parrots

Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
    I'm sorry for your loss. When I lost Berta after 39 years, I was pretty sure that I wasn't getting another. After all, I was now free

Well, after 2 months of walking by her empty cage, I had to fill the void and found Nike and haven't regretted it once.

So I guess what I'm saying is that as time goes by you'll remember how great it was having Casper around and how great it will be to find another.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
    Thanks,
    Bill
    &

13. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-17-2022), Dragonlady2 (03-18-2022), plax (06-30-2023)

Parrots

Thanks Bill
    I am still grieving, I had no clue how hard it was going to hit us and I don't know if I could go through this again. As Margaret wrote to her friend yesterday: "He is everywhere I look".

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I am so sorry to hear this. I remember him sitting in the tree outside. Funny how they worm their way into our hearts and the hole they leave when they pass.
    Take care.

16. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (03-17-2022), plax (06-30-2023)

Parrots

To remember the good times here is a short clip of Casper trying to sleep whilst a blackbird is singing on the next branch

Its not happening, I seem to have lost the knack
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsdriver/51951069948
    Last edited by Casper's 2nd best friend; 03-21-2022 at 12:02 AM.

18. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (03-21-2022), plax (06-30-2023)