User Tag List

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Caspers an in-patient

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    I’m glad to hear his tests so far are ok. Hopefully the medication they are giving him now will work and he can start getting antibiotics down.

Casper is lucky to have such an observant family. Sending you all lots of good thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rosie & Kendra

2. The following 5 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-29-2017), Dragonlady2 (12-29-2017), Lady (01-01-2018), Mare (12-29-2017), plax (12-30-2017)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Aww..the buddy.. We are pulling for Casper. Come on God, lend a hand!

4. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-29-2017), Dragonlady2 (12-29-2017), plax (12-30-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Margaret has just phoned for an update. Apparently Casper is a bit brighter today and is currently playing under newspaper.
    The vet wants to keep him in a little longer for observation because his poop is very watery. Hopefully he is on the mend. Next update this time tomorrow.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

6. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-29-2017), kendrafitz (12-29-2017), Lady (01-01-2018), plax (12-30-2017)

Parrots

Something has just occurred to me that I will discuss with the vet but thought you guys might have some input.
    Margaret and I were discussing Casper's symptoms - extreme lethargy and watery poop and I said "that's what I was like before we found out I am gluten intolerant"
    The vet mentioned lower gut infection so could Casper be coeliac/celiac or gluten intolerant? Harrison's pellets do contain corn and oats. That would be his only source of gluten as everything else he gets is gluten free because of me.
    My brief internet search has only revealed that there is a scientist called I. Parrot doing research into Celiac disease.
    It seems a bit of a long shot, but are there gluten free parrot foods?

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)

Caspers an in-patient

I did a quick search and came up with this.

http://www.parrot-and-conure-world.c...c-pellets.html

https://topsparrotfood.com/product/tops-parrot-pellets/

Rosie & Kendra

9. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-29-2017), Lady (01-01-2018)

Parrots

Thanks Kendra
    I am baffled as to why they take out wheat and leave in barley which also contains gluten. Before he came to us Casper was fed only sunflower seeds because 'that is all he will eat' and the vet says that is why he has an enlarged liver, they contain a lot of fat. Usually ingredients are listed in order of ratio, there being the highest percentage of the first item. Unfortunately barley is item no2 so its a major component.
    They also say that brown rice (the major constituent) is good but it contains far more arsenic than white rice so I am a little worried about their claims that this is a good product.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38910848
    Last edited by Casper's 2nd best friend; 12-29-2017 at 06:58 PM.

11. The following user likes this post:

kendrafitz (12-30-2017)

Parrots

parakeet cockatiel
    Good luck to your Casper .

13. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-30-2017)

Parrots

Thanks Gemma

Back to the TOPS feed, the use of brown rice in this parrot food is worrying me after what I read about it in the BBC article. If you haven't read, rice has more arsenic in it because it is grown in water rather than soil and brown rice has more than white rice because they haven't messed with it to make it white. The chap who wrote the article said that whilst the amounts are small enough to not be a worry for adults he wouldn't recommend it for children and babies.
    It is unlikely in the western world that children and babies would be given rice every day but a bird would if given this food so even though the amounts it eats are smaller each day the cumulative effect on a small bird could be harmful.
    What worries me more is that they haven't addressed these concerns in their advertising which probably means that they are not aware otherwise they would be telling us that they soak the rice before cooking in more fresh water as advised in the article.
    So my advice would be, without more information from the manufacture, don't use it.
    Mods feel free to either move this or copy it to another thread if there is already one about healthy foods.

15. The following user likes this post:

kendrafitz (12-30-2017)

Parrots

Yay, we are going to visit Casper this morning

17. The following 3 users like this post:

kendrafitz (12-30-2017), Lady (01-01-2018), plax (12-30-2017)

Parrots

Just had a long visit with Casper who took the opportunity to sit on our shoulders and preen. Obviously he had a lot of catching up to do and hadn’t been told we were visiting.

He is making progress but still regurgitating a little bit and his poop is very green but has more solids in (sorry if you are reading this while eating but you need to know )
    They are injecting him with something to help prevent vomiting before giving him his meds.
    They are going to keep him in for a couple more days until he has started regaining weight and eating normally.
    The other inpatients, a cockatiel and an African grey are going home today but he will still have Bob, the resident parrot for company.

Last edited by Casper's 2nd best friend; 12-30-2017 at 02:48 PM.

19. The following 3 users like this post:

kendrafitz (12-31-2017), Lady (01-01-2018), plax (12-30-2017)