User Tag List

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Caspers an in-patient

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.

Caspers an in-patient

Casper has been worrying us because he is off his food so we can't get him to take his arthritis meds. After speaking to the vet on the phone I took him in this morning and of course he was delighted to be the centre of attention in the waiting room, asking everyone if they are "alright?" and saying "hello". Not being the poor little thing like he was at home. In the inspection room he stepped onto the vet's hand before the travel cage was half open and immediately climbed up onto his shoulder. It was a vet he hadn't met before so it was good that he liked him.
    The vet is concerned about his gradual weight loss over the last couple of months (I was able to show him our weekly weight record book) and said they would tube feed him today and start him on antibiotics and if his appetite hasn't returned by tomorrow they will start doing tests.
    At home the house seems empty
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

2. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-27-2017), Mare (12-29-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I hope Casper will be okay. It must be very worrying for you. I would hate to leave any of my birds at the vet's overnight.

4. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-27-2017), Lady (12-27-2017), Mare (12-29-2017)

Parrots

This is the third time over the years that he has been admitted, he was not at all worried about it, maybe he realises that they make him feel better. He has company there, I could hear a birdy chirruping in the background. Last time he taught another bird to say hello.

6. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-27-2017), Lady (12-27-2017), Mare (12-29-2017)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    Oh no. I’m sending you all lots of love. You must miss him already. Do they know how long he will be with them?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rosie & Kendra

8. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-27-2017), Dragonlady2 (12-27-2017), Lady (12-27-2017), Mare (12-29-2017)

Parrots

Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
    Hope all turns out well, good luck!
    Thanks,
    Bill
    &

10. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-27-2017), Dragonlady2 (12-28-2017), Lady (12-27-2017)

Parrots

Thanks for your kind words. We don't know why he is not eating. Any idea how quickly antibiotics will take to kick in? If he shows improvement quickly it may be a couple of days but if he needs blood tests and xrays it could be a week. It is horribly quiet without him. We will phone them in the morning to see how he is after his first night.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Aww, I don't know who to feel worse for! We all sure hope he comes home soon and that he will regain his appetite quickly. Keep us posted.

13. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-28-2017), Dragonlady2 (12-28-2017)

Parrots

Katie- 23 yr old Catalina Macaw
    Poor little guy!!! Sorry he’s going through that but so happy you are such a great parront and getting him the best care!! Good thoughts sent your way!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our rescue birds~

23 yr old Katie - Catalina Macaw
    39 yr old Max- GW Macaw
    1 yr old Nibbles- GC Conure
    ADOPT DON’T SHOP

15. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-28-2017), Dragonlady2 (12-28-2017), Lady (12-27-2017)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Sorry to hear about what's happening with Casper, Jean-Pierre . It's very good that he's adaptive to the clinic environment though. Hopefully he'll be back on track soon.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

17. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-28-2017), Dragonlady2 (12-29-2017), Lady (01-01-2018)

Parrots

Casper has brought up all the good stuff the vets have given him so he is being gassed down and having xrays and blood tests this afternoon. They are also doing a bit of restyling on his beak whilst he is out. I don't think they have done a risk assessment about this, they are very likely to be pecked when he feels better.

News update,
    they rang whilst I was typing. Xrays clear although liver enlarged but liver functions normal. They have done all the blood tests they can in the surgery which are all fine but have to send away to have the white cells analysed to tell if it might be a bacterial infection he is suffering from. They cant give him the antibiotics because he sicks them back up but are giving something else instead and will start antibiotics as soon as he is well enough.
    We were half expecting them to find Margaret's missing ear-ring but nope, he is not guilty.
    We have to phone again tomorrow after the vet has done his rounds as Margaret calls it - she used to work in a hospital and doing the rounds was what they called it when the consultant doctors went around the wards to check on their patients.
    He is in good hands and hopefully we got him there soon enough. Fortunately we did not 'wait another day to see if he gets over it'

19. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-29-2017), kendrafitz (12-29-2017), Lady (01-01-2018), Mare (12-29-2017)