User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: In DESPERATE need of assistance

Parrots

African Grey Cockatiel
    OK first of all your bird is beautiful! Secondly apologies for the delayed reply. I've been back at work and have hit the ground running.

I did try just using my camera phone, but I'll definitely try using OneDrive or Dropbox. I took such a nice photo.

Anyway, it's now going on three weeks and he's still very very scared. I'm trying to stick train him in the meantime because I'd really like to let him out his cage without it being traumatic to get him back in. I haven't let him out in three days because the last time I let him out I eventually had to towel him because I just couldn't guide him back to his cage. I am getting concern about how long I can keep him in his cage for without him becoming scared to come out. He's very comfortable outside his cage but like I say, getting him back in isn't a great experience.

I can come pretty close to him, and my hand can be about 10cm away before he panics and retreats to the back of his cage. With the stick I can almost touch him before he flies away from his perch (I only do it when he's on his perch).

He's eating very well. Still sticking to his seeds. I bought him a honey seed stick thing which he enjoyed but he's not yet eating any of the fruit or vegs I give him (I've tried carrots, apples and grapes (seedless)). And he knows when it's feeding him, he only eats from the floor of the cage and he's down there within seconds of me putting down more food.

But I just want to be able to touch him now! Kratos loves his cuddles (he practically goes weak at the knees) and I want Speckles to enjoy that too.

2. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (01-05-2018), Dragonlady2 (01-05-2018), Mare (01-24-2018)

Parrots

African Grey Cockatiel
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20171229_204941-1.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	92.3 KB 
ID:	5049

Success!

4. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (01-05-2018), Dragonlady2 (01-05-2018), Lady (01-08-2018), Mare (01-24-2018)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    What a pair of posers

A lovely photo, it was worth the wait. I'm not sure what to suggest that will encourage him to eat fruit and veg, we fail miserably at it too and lots of expensive stuff that Casper leaves gets composted. We eat what is not put in his bowl as when you buy a fruit like a mango it is far too much for one parrot and if it is not exactly ripe how he likes it gets thrown out of the bowl so he can get to the banana underneath. I expect you have the same wastage with Kratos.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-05-2018), Lady (01-08-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    I don't know if this would work but you could try squeezing some of the juice from the fruit onto the seeds so she will get a chance to taste it and see if she likes it. I would only try a small amount of both as a test. If she eats it them maybe a little more. Lady likes to eat from my plate and will pick up whatever I have on it. She doesn't always eat it but I know she at least gets a taste. Some veggies she likes cooked soft others she would rather raw, it's another trial and error kind of thing.
    I suppose the seed she is eating is familiar so she is going to go for it first maybe add more veggies and just a little seed under them so she has to touch them to get to what she wants.

8. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-08-2018)

Parrots

African Grey Cockatiel
    You have such a pretty bird!

I tried cutting a grape in half and leaving it with his seeds, untouched.

The thing is I still can't go near him. I'm now putting my hand in his cage every night for him to get him used to my presence.

The first few nights went as well as expected, last night he was very aggressive. Never bit me but kept lunging at me.

I even tried putting seeds in my hand, that doesn't interest him (but he's on the floor as soon as I drop them there).

He's not eating out his food bowl, just off the floor.

I'm really not sure if I'm making any progress at all with him. I haven't been able to let him out his cage for well over a week now because I can't get him in without having to (traumatically) towel him, nor does he seem to be getting used to my hand. I've had him since just before Christmas.

Parrots

African Grey Cockatiel
    It's been a few weeks and progress is very, very, very slow.

So basically the only update is that he's now eating out his food bowl (and he only by accident discovered there's food in there).

I haven't forced myself on him, but tonight for the first night in a couple of weeks I sat there with my hand on his perch. He lunged at me a few times (and my instinct was to take my hand away which I guess doesn't help). I didn't put my hand close to him, on the furthest side of the perch.

I plan on doing this every second night for the next week or two, then upping it to every night.

Then I'm going to move my hand closer to him.

Strangely though when he's sitting in his food bowl and I'm putting food in, he doesn't try attack my hand even though I can practically touch him then, he's so close.

11. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-16-2018)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    It may seem like slow progress, but that you are able to enter the cage with your hand to put food in the dish is great start.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Lulu,
    Please let your bird set the pace. I understand that you want to be close to him but it will be so much more worth it if you let HIM make the decision on when he is feeling safe. Spend time in the room just hanging out or sit and read a book aloud to him for just 5 or 10 minutes a few times a day, don't move about quickly but be quiet and slow. I think this little guy will come around if you give him the time he needs. When you approach his cage, just drop a special treat like maybe millet or a tiny slice of fresh fruit into his cup and go sit and watch him. Body language speaks volumes!

14. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (01-19-2018), Dragonlady2 (01-19-2018)

Parrots

African Grey Cockatiel
    Another update. While I can't go near him, he actually ate one of his treats out his food bowl while my hand was in the cage. I believe this is pretty good?

16. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (01-20-2018), Dragonlady2 (01-20-2018), Mare (01-24-2018)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Yep, he no longer regards you as a threat to his lunch, you're on your way
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

18. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (01-20-2018), Mare (01-24-2018)