User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help, Female wont stop wanting to breed/Laying eggs

Help, Female wont stop wanting to breed/Laying eggs

NOTE: I have talked to several vets, done what the vets say to do, and done lots of research, done what the research says to do. I was hoping there would be more ideas here. I am at my witts end.

I am extended birdsitting 2 Female Cockatiels. One, Shaia, is good, she also doesn't like me very much. Cooroo is the problem child who loves me overly much.

I have:
    • Limited Daylight to 8hs
    • Feeding Pellets only
    • Limited touch, and especially not below the neck line (Never touched below the neck at the start)
    • Discouraged/Distracted from "Venting" (Is that what it is called? She sticks her butt on things and chirps)
    • Limited my interaction
    • If/when she does lay eggs I make a place just enough for the eggs not to roll around the cage then leave them till she doesn't care anymore.
    • Moved the stuff in their cages around often, even switched them between the two cages I have.
    • Make sure Cooroo has access to a cuddlebone and egg shells
    • *EDIT: I have used false eggs/her passed eggs, but she just lays 4-5 anyway

Any (more) tips/links to disway a bird from wanting me to be her baby daddy? Then eventually she lays eggs (lots), which I know is unhealthy. I am trying to do my best, but the only option so far is an expensive shot that I cannot afford, and neither can the owner (I can't afford because I am not ready for the commitment of a bird, so I am bird sitting, and the owner is between jobs and housing atm)

I really need some new tips I have not tried. A vet mentioned putting the cage on the ground and I just don't have the floor space.

Also both birds don't play with hardly anything, they don't chew on hardly anything, and they refuse to eat veggies even though I try to get them to eat chop every day. They are in seperate cages, mostly because Cooroo attacks Shaia when she has eggs.

Any constructive feedback would help me so much.

Shaia/Cooroo in their fluffinchop glory.
    Last edited by purpleebchan; 12-27-2017 at 02:35 AM. Reason: Update

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    I'm afraid I can't help with the eggy problem, we only have a male parrot so I can only go by what I have read. Have you tried putting false eggs in her cage?
    On the subject of getting them to eat veggies, we have that problem as well. Casper will only eat cooked ones although he does love fresh fruit.
    I know it is all about giving them a balanced diet but I can't help thinking that there can't be many vegetables growing in the Amazon canopies so I rather see his point.
    He loves having some of what we are eating as we are his flock so he always gets a little bit of pasta or sweet potato or carrot.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

3. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-27-2017), Mare (12-27-2017)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Hello! Such pretty birds! I have a five cockatiels, only one is female. She’s only laid eggs when she and her mate had a nesting box to lay them in. I know that females can/will, lay without a mate though. Does she have a set number of eggs that she lays at a time? Jean-Pierre’s suggestion of the setting the false eggs in her nest is a good one. If you can give her all the eggs that she would normally lay, she may stop laying to reach her quota.

5. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-27-2017), Dragonlady2 (12-27-2017)

Yes I have used false eggs but she didn't accept them? Currently I have her passed eggs as false eggs but that doesn't seem to stop her.

Any suggestions on where to buy false eggs? I did a search and wasn't sure if I was looking at the right thing @_@

7. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-27-2017), Dragonlady2 (12-27-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Just a couple of questions...
    How close are the bird's cages? Proximity may encourage laying.
    How dark is the room after lights are out? Is she covered at night?
    Can you keep the temperature of the room a little cooler?
    Can you mix in some fruit with the chop...it may encourage at least trying it.
    What kind of pellet are they eating?
    Last edited by Dragonlady2; 12-27-2017 at 02:02 PM.

9. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-27-2017), Lady (12-27-2017)

@Dragonlady2

How close are the bird's cages? Proximity may encourage laying.
    Next to one another, mostly because if Shaia can’t see Cooroo she will scream. They also only tolerate one another. Can you explain why this would encourage laying? They are both girls? And technically they would be sharing a cage if it wasnt for Cooroo attacking Shaia when she has eggs.

How dark is the room after lights are out? Is she covered at night?
    Both individually covered. They are uncovered at 10am and covered back up at 5pm. When I do cover them I use a desk lamp while I am still awake, then when I go to bed it is dark.

Can you keep the temperature of the room a little cooler?
    I keep my room cooler than the rest of the house in general. But I think between 69-67f degrees

Can you mix in some fruit with the chop...it may encourage at least trying it.
    I got a better list from their mom recently and I will try. But they wont eat fruit either that I have tried.

What kind of pellet are they eating?
    ZuPreem Pellets, the non colored kind. But now it is mixed with the colored kind cause I ran out and couldnt find more uncolored.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I am out of ideas. Have you sought the advice of an avian vet? If you haven't, I would start there. If you have, I would get a second opinion. I find that each vet has their areas of specialty/interest and access to other information. It isn't a criticism of the first vet as much as it is keeping all options open by getting more or different information.

@Dragonlady2

Yes, I have talked to 4 (bird vets) so far. I was calling for price checks on the shot that will reduce her need to lay eggs. Thank you for your help, just trying to get the word out, maybe someone knows something I haven't tried.

($500 is the shot price not including the vet visit. @-@ I would pay this myself if I had the funds I am so desperate, but I don't, which is why I am only bird sitting. I eventually want to foster though our local Bird Rescue as well. I am continuing to talk to mom, maybe there are payment plans.)

13. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-27-2017), Mare (12-29-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Hi and Welcome to PP.
    I'm by far no expert but here is a link to a site I use quite often for general knowledge. https://www.beautyofbirds.com/egglaying.html I sure hope you find a answer that works for all of you.

15. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-28-2017), Dragonlady2 (12-28-2017), Mare (12-29-2017)

@Lady

Yes I have read that very page many times.

Can you clarify what an "austerity diet" might involve? Also it says "offering nothing but millets for several weeks" does this mean millet sprigs? Or some other millet?

The only other thing I haven't done is switch the day and night for them. I need to put my Ottlite's back into my main light (which I believe is full spectrum)

This is the newest thing I have done to her cage, she is currently arguing with all of the stuff. Hopefully this will disway her. Fingers Crossed.

17. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-30-2017)