User Tag List

Thread: Parakeet won’t stop biting and I can’t interact with him

Parakeet won’t stop biting and I can’t interact with him

I got my blue parakeet about 6 months ago, and we have gotten along pretty well. Sometimes he explores my room and he will sit on my finger, shoulder or head, but, since I’ve gotten him, he has continuously biting me. It’s got to the point where I won’t be able to hang out with him because as soon ad I get near him, he will try to bite me. When I looked up solutions, I found that you can try to shake the perch a little bit so that he will learn to associate him biting with that feeling, but it hasn’t worked at all. What can I do to teach him not to bite?

Parrots

Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
    Is there another person in the family that he really likes? It is not uncommon for birds to have a strong bond with one family member and bite or attack another.
    Thanks,
    Bill
    &

Parrots

Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
    As for shaking the perch, I've read that too but they are usually talking about when you're holding him and he starts to bite, move your hand to cause the bird's footing to be unsure so it stops biting in favor of regaining it's footing...not sure it actually teaches them anything.
    Thanks,
    Bill
    &

4. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (12-24-2017), Quakerella (12-25-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    It probably encourages them to hang on tighter with their beak so they don't fall.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Mare (12-24-2017), Quakerella (12-25-2017)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Jean-Pierre, you crack me up! Birds bite..sadly. They don’t ALWAYS bite but you need to learn, for yourself,,when. My Umbrella Cockatoo, Shaggy, bites when he is over stimulated and this can happen within a blink of an eye. You need to learn to read your bird, it takes time to know this. Be patient and be aware of your birds mood.

8. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-24-2017), Dragonlady2 (12-24-2017), Quakerella (12-25-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Hello and welcome to PP,
    So tell us a bit more... you said that sometimes he sits on your shoulder, finger or head does he try to bite then? How does he come out of the cage? Do you ask him to step up or do you let him decide when he wants to come out? There are many different techniques but it takes time to build trust and learn to know when they are about to bite. Did you get him from a breeder or a shop? Has he ever lived with anyone else before? Have you changed anything about yourself like glasses or nail polish, or a new hair style since he started to bite? How does he seem health wise? There are many reasons why birds bite and even some different types of bites.
    Last edited by Lady; 12-24-2017 at 09:21 PM.

10. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-25-2017), Quakerella (12-25-2017)