User Tag List

Thread: Your cages?

Your cages?

So, my budgies' cage is pretty depressing... All I've got in it is two wooden perches and a swing toy that's probably too big for them, so I'm gonna give it a makeover, gonna get more toys, natural perches and all that stuff. I thought I might ask you guys for what your birbs' cages look like for some inspiration... Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Natural perches are good, you can make your own out of birdsafe woods like willow. One of my most common google searches I make is "is xxx safe for parrots", it works every time
    If you get rope perches get the natural fibre type not the brightly coloured synthetic ones which can cause problems if the fibres get stuck in a birds gullet.
    You can buy expensive cozies for your birds to snuggle up to at night but a bit of fleece cut from some unwanted clothing is just as good.
    Casper's toy of preference at the moment is an empty plastic water bottle which he chases around the room and throws about. Just use a bottle that is about the same size as your bird.
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!AiShclt2ghrmhHfZVjjsMxYMNPLj
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

3. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-21-2017), PlaxMacaws (12-22-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Natural perches are good, you can make your own out of birdsafe woods like willow. One of my most common google searches I make is "is xxx safe for parrots", it works every time
    If you get rope perches get the natural fibre type not the brightly coloured synthetic ones which can cause problems if the fibres get stuck in a birds gullet.
    You can buy expensive cozies for your birds to snuggle up to at night but a bit of fleece cut from some unwanted clothing is just as good.
    Casper's toy of preference at the moment is an empty plastic water bottle which he chases around the room and throws about. Just use a bottle that is about the same size as your bird.
    https://1drv.ms/v/s!AiShclt2ghrmhHfZVjjsMxYMNPLj
    Thanks for the ideas
    Also I love your birb, when did you start letting him out of the cage? Mine tried escaping twice but he just ended up slamming into windows and mirrors until I caught him and put him back in

5. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-21-2017), Dragonlady2 (12-21-2017)

Parrots

Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
    EllioTeaBag, So right now you house isn't safe enough to let him out. I think some birds never catch on that they can't fly out a closed window and in that case you'll need to add curtains, shades or sheers so that he knows he cant go out that way. I'm lucky that all my windows are multi-paned....old house, old windows, and those 6x9" panes separated by wood are enough that my parrot has never tried to fly to a window.

We do have one large window which is also multi-pane but my wife also hangs a bunch of glass nicknack things on it for decoration and she's never flown to it. My Nike seems to like to fly from perch to perch, lamp shade to lamp shade and head to head...not to the windows.

The safest thing might be to limit the flying to one room where you have the windows and mirrors covered.
    Last edited by bill-e; 12-21-2017 at 11:04 PM.
    Thanks,
    Bill
    &

7. The following 5 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-21-2017), Dragonlady2 (12-21-2017), EllioTeaBag (12-24-2017), Lady (12-24-2017), PlaxMacaws (12-22-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Casper doesn't fly much. Before he came to us he was kept in a 2ft cube cage with just a bell for amusement. He's now a bit arthritic and the vet says that at some time in his life he broke a bone in one wing. He tends to climb down from his cage and waddle across and climb up a suitably seated human or he sits on top of his cage and repeatedly says "come-on" until we give in and go and get him.
    We exercise his wings by sitting him on a finger, then hold the hand up high and drop it down whilst he holds on and flaps his wings and makes happy-parrot noises. When he doesn't want to do it he just flops over backwards on your finger so he is hanging upside down. It is very comical.
    His cage is open all day unless he is hassling us at meal times and he spends most of the day on a shoulder, the back of the sofa or on one of the perches or swings that are fixtures in rooms we use a lot around the house.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

9. The following user likes this post:

EllioTeaBag (12-24-2017)

Thanks guys!

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Cages are great fun to decorate and arrange. I love moving Lady's toys and perches. I think she rather likes it too. It also keeps her from being board with her space. There are quite a few safe home made toys you can make if you have some time. Paper towel rolls (be sure there is no old glue on them), plastic containers that have lids can be a fun foraging toy if you carve out some holes so they can get to the food. Stringing straws can make a cool toy. Coffee filters, wooden beads with no coating, even children's wooden blocks. There are some nice infant toys that some birds play with. Wooden spoons or small measuring spoon too. Just do some searching on the net and you will get good ideas. You can also look at already made toys for ideas as well. If you do make them yourself do the much needed research on the parts you use to be sure it will be safe. Some birds are chewers and others not so much, so be sure if you have a chewer to keep an eye on the toys so they don't become to worn and unsafe.

12. The following 2 users like this post:

EllioTeaBag (12-24-2017), Quakerella (12-25-2017)