User Tag List

Thread: Budgies not drinking water?

Budgies not drinking water?

Got 3 budgies 4 days ago and so far they've figured where their food is and they're not as scared anymore (They started chirping and playing with their toys). Thing is, they can't figure out where the water is :/. I refill the bowl everyday with fresh water and they're just not drinking... I tried putting the bowl on the cage floor, tried adding more bowls, tried splashing the water and spilling a little of it on the cage floor but they aren't getting the idea... What should I do?

Thanks in advance! c:

Sent from my SM-N920C using Tapatalk

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Do they get fresh fruit every day? Casper seems to get all the moisture he needs from that, sometimes he just squidges all the juice out of an apple slice and leaves the pulp. He also leaves the skin - bits of apple and grape skins randomly scattered around the floor of the cage and the other food bowl.
    We do give him fresh water but he rarely goes near it. Certainly not when we are watching
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

3. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-18-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Do they get fresh fruit every day? Casper seems to get all the moisture he needs from that, sometimes he just squidges all the juice out of an apple slice and leaves the pulp. He also leaves the skin - bits of apple and grape skins randomly scattered around the floor of the cage and the other food bowl.
    We do give him fresh water but he rarely goes near it. Certainly not when we are watching
    I tried giving them banana slices and grapes but they barely touched them. I'll be sure to try giving them apples... Thanks! C:

Parrots

Grapes I have to cut in half and cut out the pips and the pithy bit before he will consider them. Kiwi is out of favour just now and being tossed onto the floor.

Oh, and in case you weren't aware, the pips from the apples contain toxins so don't give them any of the core.

6. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-18-2017)

Parrots

Also, check out their poop, should be moist around the outside as it is combined poo and pee. I have no experience of budgie poop but someone who knows more should be along shortly

8. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-18-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Also, check out their poop, should be moist around the outside as it is combined poo and pee. I have no experience of budgie poop but someone who knows more should be along shortly
    I'll make sure to check that out too, thanks

10. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-18-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Birds don't necessarily drink a lot and they may be drinking when you aren't around. Do they bath in the water. They might like a bigger water dish?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    Birds don't necessarily drink a lot and they may be drinking when you aren't around. Do they bath in the water. They might like a bigger water dish?
    Ah I see, I'll try giving them a bigger bowl or maybe even a bottle too, thanks c:

Hinata just drank some water! Also I tried sneaking in pomegranate seeds into their mix and they seem to be really enjoying them, which is so far the first fruit they've tried more than once Thanks for the ideas guys

14. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-20-2017), Dragonlady2 (12-20-2017), Lady (12-24-2017)