User Tag List

Thread: Need advice, My bird is injured and im not sure what to do

Parrots

kakriki

Need advice, My bird is injured and im not sure what to do

Hey there,

I have a 1 year old kakariki parrot named piston. This afternoon my cat jumped on his cage and startled him which made him jump. Since then he has been limping and relying mostly on one leg. He i however still commuting around his cage, playing, eating and not screaming at all. His leg does not look broken with no visible injuries, splinters or blood. I have some photos and videos if that may help. I've looked into it a bit and most people seem to say if hes still getting around and what not to leave it for 24-48 hours as its most likely a sprain or a small injury. He also has his feather puffed up as if he is sleeping but hes been like that for a couple of hours now. If theres any advice anyone can offer me i would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you!
    Nick

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Go straight to an avian vet, don't waste time asking us.

And never let the cat in the same room again. If your poor bird lives think yourself extremely lucky and learn from this lesson.
    Last edited by Casper's 2nd best friend; 12-15-2017 at 12:59 PM.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

3. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-15-2017), Lady (12-16-2017), PlaxMacaws (12-15-2017), Quakerella (12-17-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Absolutely take it to an avian vet asap. Your cat may have been in contact with your bird. In the meantime, it should be kept warm. If you have a carrier, you could set it up to be a "hospital" cage for your bird. It will be easier to keep it warm and stop too much movement. Please let us know how your bird makes out. Hopefully it is nothing but a sprain/strain, but better to make sure.

5. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-15-2017), Lady (12-16-2017), PlaxMacaws (12-15-2017), Quakerella (12-17-2017)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Yes, please have your bird assessed by a qualified avian vet as soon as possible! And please update us when you can. A mere undetected claw scratch somewhere under the feathers can infect a bird with a bacterial pathogen known as pasteurlla multocida (naturally present on cat claws) that may result in rapid death. Hopefully your kakariki is only suffering from a muscle sprain.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

7. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-15-2017), Dragonlady2 (12-15-2017), Lady (12-16-2017), Quakerella (12-17-2017)