User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shower Bathing + Toxic Tap Water

Parrots

Two cockatiel hens named Gracie & Matilda

Shower Bathing + Toxic Tap Water

My weird chicken hates baths -- room temperature, cold, misting, dishes, whatever I've tried she absolutely hates it. She's only stood in her bath once and then climbed out without really...bathing.

Which, of course, means I have to chase her around with a mister every so often, which even still doesn't get her wet enough to count as a real bath. Her skin looks dry when I move the feathers out of the way, so I know she'll need a proper bath soon. She's only bathed once in a cool mist bath after we got her. She loved it then but nothing is up to her standards now.

I've never tried a shower perch to see if she likes that, because the tap water where I live ( Tampa ) recently became toxic to birds and rodents. Will bathing water be safe to her? Is a shower perch worth trying?

2. The following user likes this post:

Lady (12-09-2017)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Any idea what toxins are in your tap water?
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

Parrots

Not that I remember. I will check the eater systems report if I can find it. The change was recent, though -- a week or so after Urma.

Another problem I forgot to address: she's very adamant about staying on top of her cage. She's out about five or six hours a day. She doesn't step up very well (we've been struggling with it for a few months), but when she does she flies right back to her cage when moved. I scratch her head a lot, which she loves, and read to her, but I'm wondering if her attachment to the cage top is decreasing the quality of out of cage time.

Parrots

If your tap water is contaminated as a result of the hurricane aftermath, if at all possible I would avoid exposing your bird to it. You can kill biologic pathogens by boiling water... but there's not a lot you can do about chemically contaminated water. I would probably try to stick with misting her using bottled water.

Your description about her preferring to hang out on the top of her cage is quite common. Many birds feel secure up there. They can hang on to the bars easily while they survey the area for threats. They like to feel in control.

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Quote Originally Posted by PlaxMacaws View Post
    ... They can hang on to the bars easily while they survey the area for treats.
    Edited for accuracy
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

7. The following 2 users like this post:

PlaxMacaws (12-08-2017), Quakerella (12-10-2017)

Parrots

Alright, glad the cage thing is normal! I'd seen a lot of things saying that out of cage time needed to be more interactive to be worth anything. I would like to be able to teach her to step up, though. Any tips? Food bribery hasn't been working for a while.

I'll stick to the misting, I guess. I'm worried about her skin, though, since she hasn't really bathed in a few months. It must be itchy.

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    If she was feeling itchy she would be continuously preening, fluffing and shuddering. Casper was never given the opportunity to bathe at his previous home but has a very healthy plumage and is not keen on bathing apart from on hot summer days when he does rather like a nice fine mister and is happy to have a good drenching.
    It is about time he had another bath, whether he likes it or not
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

10. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (12-10-2017), PlaxMacaws (12-09-2017)

Parrots

That's good, I'm glad she's comfortable! Thank you.

I feel like I'm one of those new dads that worries about everything, so forgive me for all the questions!

12. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-09-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Your questions are great, keep them coming if needed. My Lady likes to bathe in her water dish but will tolerate a spray during the hot weather. As far as the hanging out on the cage and not wanting to step up.....I have that issue as well and have been trying to convince her for years that it's okay, she is not buying it. She will climb over to me when she wants some scratches or a treat so I let her have it her way. But don't give up (I don't plan on it) I try every chance I get to get her to come to me to get what she wants. Early morning when she is the most hungry works out best most days but she doesn't like to go to far from her cage. Your "chicken" is very cute!
    Last edited by Lady; 12-09-2017 at 03:25 AM.

14. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-09-2017), Dragonlady2 (12-09-2017), PlaxMacaws (12-09-2017), Quakerella (12-10-2017)

Parrots

rivx: View the cage top as her security blanket. If you can get her to begin trusting your hand/arm as a portable perching platform, she should simultaneously become more willing to step aboard your extended limb more often.

16. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (12-09-2017), Dragonlady2 (12-09-2017), Lady (12-10-2017)