User Tag List

Thread: Parakeet toys

Parakeet toys

Hi I been setting up a corner of living room for my parakeets. I see that some cat post use rope that safe for birds. So my question is can you use a cat post for parakeets? Like the multi lv type?

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Hello and welcome to PP.
    I'm not an expert and don't know about parakeets so if my advice is wrong I expect someone will be along shortly to put us right.
    Do your birds tend to destroy things? I would worry about them swallowing loose fibres. Just keep an eye on them and tape up any damaged areas.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    saitou13,

A cat scratching post? Hummmm I guess if it is all made of wood and sisal rope it might be okay. But I think it would depend on the type of wood. Some wood is unsafe for birds. As you know birds chew wood and cats do not so I believe that since the toy was made for a cat you would surely have to know what type of wood was used. Also be mindful of glue and or staples depending on what was used. Both could also be toxic if ingested by your parakeets.

4. The following user likes this post:

Quakerella (12-14-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Wise words from Alice, it always pays to check before you buy... and if its OK it will distract them from chewing your furniture
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (12-16-2017), Quakerella (12-14-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    As Alice says be wary of all the materials used. What is safe for a cat may not be safe for a bird. Research the materials before you use it.

8. The following user likes this post:

Lady (12-16-2017)