User Tag List

Thread: Help! Max is getting "too interested"

Parrots

Katie- 23 yr old Catalina Macaw

Help! Max is getting "too interested"

Max has been home for almost a week now and settling in amazingly. There’s only one thing that concerns me-

He might be getting too attached/interested in my other Macaw Katie

Some history on Max, 10 years ago he had a pair, a military Macaw. The rescue didn’t have the whole story but they were separated. If it had been more recent I would definitely be on guard.

My Katie is bonded to me and has no interest in Max other than saying hi to him then moving on. But I’ve noticed when I take her out he climbs off his perch, cage, wherever he’s on to get close to her. When I take her out of his site he immediately calls out to her non stop. He’s a quiet bird and this is the only time I’ve heard him yell. (She ignores his calls btw)

I definitely don’t want to let him bond with her, what are ways I could do this?

Should I move her cage out of his site?

Thank you, all advice appreciated!

As you can see Max is giving Katie the sexy look from behind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our rescue birds~

23 yr old Katie - Catalina Macaw
    34 yr old Max- GW Macaw
    1 yr old Nibbles- GC Conure
    ADOPT DON’T SHOP

2. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-14-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    What does Katie think? Is there a contraceptive pill for parrots?
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

4. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-14-2017), MacawMomma (11-14-2017), Quakerella (11-15-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I am guessing, that because Max was pair-bonded, he will have an interest in another similar sized bird. I would work on them not having time together....it may encourage hormonal behaviour which might lead to aggression, but that is just my opinion. If you try to keep them from seeing each other, you may end up with a lot of calling out to each other. Probably, setting the boundaries when they are out will be your best option for now.

6. The following 3 users like this post:

MacawMomma (11-14-2017), PlaxMacaws (11-14-2017), Quakerella (11-15-2017)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    I tend to agree with Helena. In my opinion, keeping some distance between them may be your best option. That doesn't necessarily entail positioning their cages out of view from one another. But you could certainly do that. One problem in any approach is that Max knows Katie lives there with him. Considering his interest in her, he's not likely to forget she's his housemate - which would remain the case even if he were unable to see her from his cage. As such, perhaps the most you should expect is to be able to mitigate Max's level of passion for Katie by consistently keeping them several feet apart. The closer he becomes to her, the more his passions will escalate.

My B&G and my Military were bond mates for decades. Once I brought another macaw into the mix, my Military became a death machine bent on killing my poor B&G (who adored him for so long). That was in 2005. I had to physically separate the two on a permanent basis in order to protect my B&G. He thus became extremely upset and started plucking. His feelings of devastation lasted for many years thereafter. While he currently accepts an absence of physical contact with my Military, he's still quite protective of him. If I remove the Military from his view he flips out. While ours has been an extreme case, it may serve as an example of how terrible things can become between bonded birds. If my Military had not become vicious toward my B&G, I'd likely have left them together.

Please keep us updated on developments.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

8. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-14-2017), MacawMomma (11-14-2017), Quakerella (11-15-2017)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    What does Katie think? Is there a contraceptive pill for parrots?
    Not that I’d ever want them mating (even if they were young) but have you ever seen a cross between a GW and a Catalina?!! It’s called a Flame Macaw!!! So gorgeous

Our rescue birds~

34 yr old Max- GW Macaw
    ADOPT DON’T SHOP

10. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (11-14-2017), Dragonlady2 (11-14-2017), Quakerella (11-15-2017)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    I am guessing, that because Max was pair-bonded, he will have an interest in another similar sized bird. I would work on them not having time together....it may encourage hormonal behaviour which might lead to aggression, but that is just my opinion. If you try to keep them from seeing each other, you may end up with a lot of calling out to each other. Probably, setting the boundaries when they are out will be your best option for now.
    Thank you! I completely agree! I do not want any upset birds! They’ve only come in contact twice by accident, they bumped beaks for a second then I separated them. Other than that, they have their own play areas, perches, etc. He’s just trying anything and everything to get to her lol

He does call out to her when she’s out of site but I noticed yesterday that he eventually stops when she doesn’t respond. Poor Max, I’m trying to give him tons of time to bond with myself or my husband but he might only ever want to bond with another Macaw. Either way he’s a sweet guy❤️

Our rescue birds~

34 yr old Max- GW Macaw
    ADOPT DON’T SHOP

12. The following 5 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (11-14-2017), Dragonlady2 (11-14-2017), Lady (11-15-2017), PlaxMacaws (11-14-2017), Quakerella (11-15-2017)

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by PlaxMacaws View Post
    I tend to agree with Helena. In my opinion, keeping some distance between them may be your best option. That doesn't necessarily entail positioning their cages out of view from one another. But you could certainly do that. One problem in any approach is that Max knows Katie lives there with him. Considering his interest in her, he's not likely to forget she's his housemate - which would remain the case even if he were unable to see her from his cage. As such, perhaps the most you should expect is to be able to mitigate Max's level of passion for Katie by consistently keeping them several feet apart. The closer he becomes to her, the more his passions will escalate.

My B&G and my Military were bond mates for decades. Once I brought another macaw into the mix, my Military became a death machine bent on killing my poor B&G (who adored him for so long). That was in 2005. I had to physically separate the two on a permanent basis in order to protect my B&G. He thus became extremely upset and started plucking. His feelings of devastation lasted for many years thereafter. While he currently accepts an absence of physical contact with my Military, he's still quite protective of him. If I remove the Military from his view he flips out. While ours has been an extreme case, it may serve as an example of how terrible things can become between bonded birds. If my Military had not become vicious toward my B&G, I'd likely have left them together.

Please keep us updated on developments.
    Thank you for sharing your story!! Your poor B&G!! Shows how much of Pair-Bonders (is that a term? ) Macaws are. It’s good to keep that in mind when owning more than one MAC.

Katie has no interest whatsoever in Max (at this point at least). Her previous owner owned Katie and two CAGs only. So I’m her bonded pair at the moment.

Good news I guess that moving their cages wouldn’t make things better or worse for Max. I will definitely keep them apart, I was doing it mostly because I didn’t want either hurt, but now I’ll add not getting Max all hot and bothered to the mix...

Thank you so much for your advice!!!!

Our rescue birds~

34 yr old Max- GW Macaw
    ADOPT DON’T SHOP

14. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (11-14-2017), Dragonlady2 (11-14-2017), PlaxMacaws (11-14-2017), Quakerella (11-15-2017)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Quote Originally Posted by MacawMomma View Post
    Not that I’d ever want them mating (even if they were young) but have you ever seen a cross between a GW and a Catalina?!! It’s called a Flame Macaw!!! So gorgeous

How strikingly beautiful! I've seen them before and they're one of my favorites
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

16. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (11-14-2017), Dragonlady2 (11-14-2017), Lady (11-15-2017), MacawMomma (11-14-2017)

Parrots

My newly adopted macaw lucky and hubby bird cheiwe duskey headed conure
    Quote Originally Posted by PlaxMacaws View Post
    How strikingly beautiful! I've seen them before and they're one of my favorites
    So is this a doubble hybrid then ?? So pretty i wounder how their personalitys are