User Tag List

Thread: I need help picking the right bird!

Parrots

Cockatiel

I need help picking the right bird!

Hi everyone! Im in the process of changing a lot in my life and im looking for the perfect bird for me for this new schedule.

im gonna be working on a boat and can be gone from 2 week up to a month, im currently living with my parents and when i start working im looking to move out in a apartment in the area. i have a cockatiel now who my family know and everyone is comfortable with, i want to eventually get a bigger more intermediate level bird that they will also take care of while im away.

im thinking a bird species that generally loves everyone so when i leave and my family takes over he/dont turn to disruptive behavior, the one bird that has been sticking out to me in my research is a Meyers parrot. id love to hear personal expeireance and im open to other ideas if anyone has any!

Thank you so much!

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Hi Mason and welcome to PP.

I have never owned a Meyer so I am unfortunately not able to give you any advice.

You say you could be gone for 2 weeks to a month, is this only once or twice a year or would it be many times per year? The reason I am asking is because it may be very difficult for you to form a bond with a bird if you are not able to spend time with him/her.

3. The following user likes this post:

Lady (11-04-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Welcome to PP Mason,

If everything is changing in your life right now and you won't be home much do you really think now is the time to bring home a new family member? Since you currently have a bird and know that it takes time for them to become comfortable with their new home, surroundings and other family members who would be establishing their routine?
    Will you be getting your new parrot from a breeder, rescue or somewhere else? What are your plans for the quarantine period with the newcomer? So much to think about and prepare when we bring a new member into our families. We need to be sure we are ready.
    Last edited by Lady; 11-04-2017 at 05:45 PM.

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Hi Mason
    Have you talked this through with your parents? I get the impression it will become their bird more than yours. Before you think about what suits you, you need to consider what suits them and most importantly how it will affect the bird.
    I think this is a very bad idea.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

6. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-06-2017)