User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello everyone...

Hello everyone...

Hello everyone! Quick introduction of myself. I am an Animal Service Officer and supervisor of a city owned and operated animal shelter, and I have been doing this for 1 month shy of 15 years. We are under the no kill philosophy and for the past 4 years have maintained 98-100% save rate.

About a year and a half ago DWR (Department of Wildlife Resources) caught a bird that was called into them for being "exotic." When DWR caught the bird it was brought to my shelter. Well, this exotic bird turned out to be a lilac-crowned Amazon. The poor thing was in rough shape. Beak needed a serious trim, long sharp as talon nails, dry flaky feet, and dull feathers.

After our legal stray hold plus an extra 2 weeks, and trying to find an owner sadly no luck. So I took the poor girl home (I had the vet run a DNA test about 5 months ago, it's a girl!) She loved my 22 year old son, it was sickening. lol She'd sit on his shoulder and look right into his eyes and that is when we found out she can talk (a little) she says “give me a kiss” in a man's voice (creepy) and whistles part of Jingle Bells, the wolf whistle and a come here type whistle. She makes some other noises too. I fed her, handled her, cleaned her cage and spent a lot of time with her. She was good with me, but I think she just tolerated me. lol Once she saw my son or heard his voice she was having no part of me.

Long story short my son got married and moved out and she had no choice but to deal with me. I'm happy to say she has bonded with me, and will not even talk to my son anymore. He can get her to step up, hold her, and she'll sit on is shoulder but that's it.

She will let me scratch her head, rub near her wings but of course on some occasions she doesn't want to be scratched. She is overdue for her nail, beak and wing trim so she can get a little distance when she flies. She can't gain altitude at all, but when she flies it's usually when I'm leaving the room and she flies right to me. I ask her all the time "what are you doing pretty girl?” and she now says "what are you doing?" If I whistle a small part of Jingle bells she finishes it, same with the wolf whistle.

Her beak, feet and nails are slowly coming along and getting better. Her feathers are looking great as well. I wish I had before pictures but I don't. She looks so much better than when she was brought in.

I will have a few questions I'm sure because she still has a long road ahead to be 100 %.

Anyways sorry to ramble but it's just like with the scared dogs and cats that come into the shelter. We build their trust and to see them come out of their shell is awesome, and it's been the same for Piccolo. My husband says she sometimes sounds like a Piccolo Pete firework, so she's Piccolo Parrot.

For some reason I cannot post a picture of her. Every time I try to from my computer it says perciselyparrots.com says: file upload failed.

2. The following 2 users like this post:

kendrafitz (11-03-2017), Lady (11-03-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Hello and welcome to the forum! What an awesome story. Hopefully, someone smarter than I will be able to assist you with loading pictures. I can't wait to see what she looks like.

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Hello and welcome to PP, I hope you like us enough to stay around. We are always encouraging people who are looking for a bird to visit their nearest rescue centre and hopefully you will be able to pass on your experience and knowledge.
    We are more than happy to answer any questions that you may have.
    With regard to the pictures, I am not an expert and the only thing I can suggest is that the file size may be too large. Are the pictures from a phone or from a proper camera?
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Hi April... Welcome to PP! And thank you for sharing your amazing story about Piccolo's transition into your life . I too would love to see some photos of her.

Usually, the 'file upload failed' message means the image file was too large to transfer. Do you know the pixel dimensions and file size of the photo you attempted to upload? If you would, please try the upload one more time and report back. I'll try and assist you to get it working.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (11-03-2017), Dragonlady2 (11-03-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Hi April,
    You weren't rambling, you were giving us some important information! How wonderful you decided to take her home. I'm happy that she bonded with you as it seems you will be her forever home. It also goes to show she has some social skills since she still tolerates your son after his marriage.

I'm looking forward to hearing more about her and surely hope you work with PlaxMacaws getting pics uploaded as it will be great to see this lovely girl!

8. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (11-03-2017), Dragonlady2 (11-03-2017)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    Hi April and welcome! It sounds like you have come a long way with Piccolo. . Looking forward to seeing pics soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rosie & Kendra

10. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-03-2017)

The pictures are on my phone and I tried to upload them from my phone, and then I had them on my computer as well, still no luck. I wouldn't think they are too large, but I guess they could be

Thank you Casper's 2nd best friend for encouraging people to visit rescues or a shelter. We don't get too many birds but in a years time we have had anywhere from 5-10 birds come in. We have had a beautiful sun conure(as well as other types of conures, love birds, parakeets, amazons, cockatiels, canaries, and a mean Galah cockatoo. lol We have had more but those are the ones that stand out the most.

A lot of people don't realize is not only can you find purebred dogs and cats, but you can find rabbits, guinea pigs, birds, turtles, and farm animals that need homes as well.

13. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (11-05-2017), Dragonlady2 (11-03-2017), Lady (11-04-2017)

I figured the picture thing out!!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	piccolo1 (2).jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	5034
    Her beak is still a little rough, but not even close to what it looked like when she first came in.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	piccolo1 (1).jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	24.6 KB 
ID:	5032
    ....She came to work with me yesterday.

15. The following 6 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (11-05-2017), Dragonlady2 (11-03-2017), kendrafitz (11-12-2017), Lady (11-04-2017), mzavaleta (11-26-2017), PlaxMacaws (11-04-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    She is beautiful. You are obviously doing a wonderful job with her.

17. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (11-05-2017), PlaxMacaws (11-04-2017)