User Tag List

Thread: Help! My bird bites!

Help! My bird bites!

I acquired a cockatoo about two weeks ago. She is about 24 years old and she has bonded with my husband quickly. She wants to come and sit on me, snuggle in my lap, but within a few minutes (sometimes less than one) She bites me. They started out soft and got harder each timr. I am usually doing nothing when she chomps, except last two times I let her get on me I put my hand up to keep her from getting near my face (she drew blood biting my ear), and got two rather hard bites on my hand. I pushed her off me the second time she did this and have not allowed her to get on me since, though she tries to when we let her out of the cage while I am in the room. i am afraid of her, but don't want to give up on her and put her through another change of owners. Please help!!

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to the forum! It's wonderful of you to take in an older bird. I suspect the bird is biting you because you are too close to her new found mate....your husband. She is trying to warn you and drive you away. Unfortunately, this happens often. For right now, I wouldn't have her on you or near your face. You will have to work on a different relationship with her. When she is away from your husband, give her a treat. If you can, be the one to provide food and water. I would recommend getting or making a "t" perch to assist with training. When you have to move her, use the t-perch as this may help prevent bites. Try to read her body language, there are usually signs that a bite is coming. Try to avoid the bites as much as possible, not just to keep her from hurting you, but as to not reinforce the biting.

Try to have her sleep at least 10 to 12 hours a day in a quiet, dark room. This helps to manage her hormones.

I am sure that others will be along with other suggestions.

3. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (11-03-2017), Lady (11-03-2017), PlaxMacaws (11-14-2017), Quakerella (11-13-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Hi and welcome to PP.
    Is she molting? Casper tends to get a bit aggressive when he is molting. He will bite Margaret on the cheek if he feels she is not paying him enough attention. For some reason he doesn't do that to me.
    When he first came to us it was because he chose Margaret as his new best friend and I was not to be tolerated partly because of that and partly because at his previous home he was not liked by the man of the house. My fingers and ears were his main targets.
    So how did we get to be good friends? Well it took lots of patience, for about six months he would bite me to draw blood, then one day when he was on Margaret's lap having neck scritches from her and had his eyes shut, I took over the scritching so that when he eventually opened his eyes he realised it was me doing it and that perhaps I was to be allowed more tolerance. The biting became less violent and no longer cut the skin - he know exactly how hard to bite to draw blood and over time we learned to live with each other without him liking Margaret any less. Now if I am asleep in the chair he will tippytoe up onto my shoulder without waking me and settle down and sleep with me.
    So don't give up, just take sensible precautions like being aware of her mood, leave her be when she is excited, don't make sudden movements and never show fear or pain if you can possibly help it, just calmly put the bird down on the floor and try and extract yourself from her beak.
    Do let us know what progress is being made and how as it is always helpful for other people with the same problems.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tummy tickles.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	84.3 KB 
ID:	5028
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

5. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-03-2017), Lady (11-03-2017), PlaxMacaws (11-14-2017), Quakerella (11-13-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Hi Sandi,
    Welcome~ Yes those little beaks hurt, and no one likes pain, but don't let that keep you from becoming her friend. She has only been with you for two weeks and she isn't quite sure of her surroundings. You've got some great suggestions and advice so far take some time and try some of them. It really is going to take time and trial.

We're here to help so don't give up!

7. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (11-03-2017), Dragonlady2 (11-03-2017), PlaxMacaws (11-14-2017), Quakerella (11-13-2017)

Parrots

Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
    My Nike was friendly to everyone for the first couple of week when we rescued her two years but once she bonded with both my wife and me that was it. She'll bite just about anyone else now, even those family member who she was submissive to initially.

She (he) goes through hormonal periods and goes from loving to horny in seconds. Today I took her from my wife and she immediately started gnawing...on my fingernails...I should have known to immediately put her back on her perch but I didnt, the gnawing became harder and harder then her headdress went up and she pinched the skin on my finger enough to draw her first blood. the escalation took only seconds. Minutes after that she was her normal loving self.

Nike gets 12-14 hours of sleep under a black cover and during periods when she's very hormonal we hardly hold her. We really don't scratch or pet her hardly at all but when we do that can bring on the hormones. I can usually keep her on my shoulder for hours but my wife get's bit (usually through her clothing) if Nike get's on hers.

So in my recent experience the behavior the first few weeks in a new home is not indicative of the bird's personality. My personal opinion is that I would try to hold her more often but for less time and put her down before the bad behavior starts. Maybe even try treats. Like Casper's 2nd best friend said it will take a while to sort things out and unfortunately there's no way to tell what the outcome will be. My previous bird hated my wife for almost 40 years and my wife did most of the feeding etc as I was always working. This one seems to like us both, but likes my wife more (maybe I should change my name to Nike's 2nd best friend) but spends way more time with me than my wife.

Sorry for rambling, have to go to bed for a 3am wake up tomorrow.

One more ramble, I have a nationally renowned Avian vet that I take her to. He is adamant about not holding your bird within 12" of your face....not for fear of a bite but because he claims that research has shown that 12" is the personal space for parrots and anything inside that space either gets bit or mated with....It's one recommendation I've chosen to ignore
    Thanks,
    Bill
    &

9. The following 5 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (11-13-2017), Dragonlady2 (11-13-2017), Lady (11-15-2017), PlaxMacaws (11-14-2017), Quakerella (11-13-2017)

Parrots

Katie- 23 yr old Catalina Macaw
    Rescue birds require lots and lots of patience but it’s SO worth it!!

As everyone said, it could definitely be a hormonal thing! Make sure and only have your husband give her head and neck scratches, nothing below.

I also encourage you to spend one on one without your husband so she doesn’t equate her biting you to you giving her back to her favorite person.

Limits are such a good thing, any bites should get a time out. And sweet behavior rewarded with encouraging words, treats, or head scratches.

I’m on the opposite side, my Katie used to be sweet with both my husband and I but then became bonded to me. So he feels your pain! Some days shes so sweet and let’s him love on her, other days she’s lunging at him. When she lunges at him, I give her my stern voice- NO BITING. This has helped a lot, disapproval from me discourages her. Also when she’s being sweet with him, I’ll pop in after awhile and praise her then give her the option of stepping up on me. That way she knows that being with her non-favorite person is not permanent.

My advice is just give her limits (be as consistent as possible) and tons of patience! The fact that she’s sweet with your husband means that she can be that way with you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our rescue birds~

23 yr old Katie - Catalina Macaw
    34 yr old Max- GW Macaw
    1 yr old Nibbles- GC Conure
    ADOPT DON’T SHOP

11. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (11-16-2017), Dragonlady2 (11-14-2017), Lady (11-15-2017), PlaxMacaws (11-14-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    When we tell Casper off he mimics us back. Its almost impossible not to laugh.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

13. The following 5 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-14-2017), kendrafitz (11-15-2017), Lady (11-15-2017), MacawMomma (11-14-2017), PlaxMacaws (11-14-2017)

Parrots

Katie- 23 yr old Catalina Macaw
    Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    When we tell Casper off he mimics us back. Its almost impossible not to laugh.
    Casper is one smart cookie, make you laugh to help forget you’re mad! I just love birds!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Our rescue birds~

23 yr old Katie - Catalina Macaw
    34 yr old Max- GW Macaw
    1 yr old Nibbles- GC Conure
    ADOPT DON’T SHOP

15. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (11-16-2017), PlaxMacaws (11-17-2017)