User Tag List

Thread: Species Recommendations? Please help!

Talking Species Recommendations? Please help!

Hello peeps! (Did you get my pun?) I'm kinda new to the bird world,(I don't own a bird, unless chickens count.) but I know a lot about them, and I think I'm ready. Anyways, I wanted to see what your opinion was as to which bird I should get. So I'm going to put my requirements in a list..

- I have to be able to find the bird in ILLINOIS or INDIANA at a breeder, pet shop, or bird show.
    - I want to buy the bird itself for 250 or lower; I may go up a bit depending on the bird itself, or how far away I have to drive to get to it.
    - Has to be smart. Trick training ability is very important, talking is also an important factor, I know it's not the only reason I want a bird, but a few words or phrases that sound clear would be nice.
    - The cage I have picked out on amazon is 1/2 inch wire spacing and 21x30x42 (WxLxH)
    - I can spend 2+ hours with the bird every day, and I will be gone for eight hours every day.
    - Now, I understand that birds are a lil noisy, but if the bird could be somewhat quiet, that would be great, as I live with other people.

I think that's it! Also, I really don't want a budgie. I know it would be a fairly good match, but please, dont recommend a budgie. I am currently looking at parrotlets, Cockatiels, and amazons. I would love to get other birds, but I dont have that kind of money.

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Ah, you want the perfect bird, what will you do if after a few weeks it doesn't suit you?
    The reason I ask this is because rescue centres are overflowing with unwanted birds. It would be great if you could spend a bit of time at one getting to know the inmates and waiting for one of them to choose you. Because birds are quite canny and seem to know the right person for them whereas it is not always so successful if the human does the choosing.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

3. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-27-2017), Lady (10-28-2017), PlaxMacaws (10-28-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Ah, you want the perfect bird, what will you do if after a few weeks it doesn't suit you?
    The reason I ask this is because rescue centres are overflowing with unwanted birds. It would be great if you could spend a bit of time at one getting to know the inmates and waiting for one of them to choose you. Because birds are quite canny and seem to know the right person for them whereas it is not always so successful if the human does the choosing.
    I forgot about shelters, and you have a very good point. Most shelters however ask for proof of bird experience to adopt a bird.

5. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (10-29-2017), Dragonlady2 (10-27-2017)

Parrots

That's why you need to give them a bit of your time, it will be mutually beneficial

7. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-27-2017), Lady (10-28-2017), Quakerella (10-28-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Hi Katy,
    I think spending some time with some different species would be a great idea for you. This way you can actually see what it is like in person. I don't believe I actually set out to purchase any of the birds I have had the pleasure of sharing my space with. They just kind of happened.
    How many other people live with you? What are their thoughts on having a parrot in the same space? Will they be contributing to the time spend with it? Does the knowledge you have about parrots come from research?
    Like people all parrots are different and there is no way to know in advance if you will have one that will meet your expectations. I say go out and visit a breeder or a shelter. Perhaps a local bird club.....

9. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (10-29-2017), Dragonlady2 (10-29-2017)

I have found a bird sanctuary about 20 minutes away from my house, I'm going to call them and see if I can spend some time with the birds, and possibly adopt one. Thanks for the advice, I feel that if I spend some time with the birds they may adopt out to somebody without experience

11. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (11-01-2017), Dragonlady2 (11-01-2017), Lady (11-02-2017), Quakerella (11-21-2017)

Parrots

Oh excellent, I hope it goes well, do keep us up to date please

13. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-02-2017), Lady (11-02-2017), Quakerella (11-21-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    I sounds wonderful to me. How exciting that you will get to hang out with different species ! !

15. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-02-2017), Quakerella (11-21-2017)

Hello! I called the rescue yesterday, and I will probably go on Friday this week or Saturday next week. The rescues hours are when I am busy during the day, so the lady told us to let her know when we are coming. She has conures, cockateils, budgies, a Quaker, macaws, and an African grey. Plenty to spend some time which, I'd say.

I was getting my hamster some bedding yesterday at Petsmart and I saw the cutest little white face Cockatiel. He was on sale and had been there for six months. He was so cute and curious, but I don't really like to purchase pets from the chain pet stores, I've made up my mind that I want to rescue. Just thought I'd share

17. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (11-06-2017), Dragonlady2 (11-06-2017), Lady (11-12-2017), Quakerella (11-07-2017)

Parrots

Hawk Head Parrot (Deroptyus accipitrinus)
    Quote Originally Posted by Katydid View Post
    Hello! I called the rescue yesterday, and I will probably go on Friday this week or Saturday next week. The rescues hours are when I am busy during the day, so the lady told us to let her know when we are coming. She has conures, cockateils, budgies, a Quaker, macaws, and an African grey. Plenty to spend some time which, I'd say.

I was getting my hamster some bedding yesterday at Petsmart and I saw the cutest little white face Cockatiel. He was on sale and had been there for six months. He was so cute and curious, but I don't really like to purchase pets from the chain pet stores, I've made up my mind that I want to rescue. Just thought I'd share
    True, but in the case of a bird who's been at a store for a long time you would really be rescuing it not to mention saving it from being purchased by someone less responsible than you.

My daughter used to manage a Petco and when they had birds who stuck around for months those birds would be pretty well socialized. You would still want to hang with it a few times before you purchase.
    Thanks,
    Bill
    &

19. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (11-17-2017), Quakerella (11-21-2017)