User Tag List

Thread: California bans pet shops from selling non-rescue mammals - Would it work w/ birds?

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"

California bans pet shops from selling non-rescue mammals - Would it work w/ birds?

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry...b0a52aca183fa3

The premise is that potentially adoptable pets in shelters are being euthanized each day so puppy mills and private breeders can turn profits by producing new animals with which to flood the pet market. Gov. Jerry Brown signed the bill into law on Friday (today). It will take effect in January. Personally, I think it's a wonderful move. But would it work for birds? If you think a similar ban on the sale of business-produced avian species would not work to diminish the rescue bird population, please tell us why?

Note:
    This thread may be more appropriate for the controversial topics section. We'll see how it goes and I'll decide whether to move it.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

2. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-21-2017), kendrafitz (10-21-2017), Lady (10-21-2017), Mare (10-24-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Excellent idea in my opinion,lets stabilise the populations so that supply=demand.

I have thought that driving licences should only be issued to new drivers when an existing driver stops driving. But it would probably lead to a rash of youngsters killing oldies to get their licence.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

4. The following 6 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-21-2017), kendrafitz (10-21-2017), Lady (10-21-2017), Mare (10-24-2017), plax (10-21-2017), Quakerella (10-21-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I think this is a good start. It gives the animals that otherwise wouldn't be considered for adoption a chance to get a home. I am guessing that online sales will probably increase. As I get older and see the amount of abused and mistreated animals out there, I am feeling more needs to be done to educate people on pet ownership responsibilities.

Not too many stores in my area sell birds and if they do it is only a few. My feeling is that there shouldn't be birds for sale in pet stores. Too often they are impulse purchases and I see ad after ad on kijiji on poor birds being rehomed because "I don't have time" "I am moving" etc. I am not sure if it would work just having older birds for sale in pet stores. There are so many online breeders selling birds. What might work is taking in one or two older birds and providing a history on each one and how each move may have affected the bird, the requirements to have one of these birds in your home and an offer of support if you decide to adopt one. Too many pet stores have no idea of what the requirements are to take care of birds. Their shelves are stocked with bird seed, but too few options with regard to pellets.

Off topic a little, but right now I am caring for two stray cats. One of them is spayed and declawed ( a practice I find abhorrent) and the other was so thin, I could barely see its eyes. I can take them to the humane society for a fee of $50 each. Both are beautiful, tame, loving cats and I am getting more and more disgusted over what I see as "throw away" pets. I checked the humane society, local vets, store fronts and online ads and no one is "missing" their cat.

JMO....as long as animals are treated as "property", we will continue to have issues.

6. The following 3 users like this post:

Lady (10-21-2017), Mare (10-24-2017), plax (10-21-2017)

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Good thoughts. My idea is that if the sale of commercially produced birds were precluded while private possession of the same were permitted, it would result in a mass reduction of birds produced by breeders as well as a significant decrease in wild capture, thus giving existing captive birds a far better chance of being adopted into homes. The reduction in wild capture should help preserve wild species populations.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

8. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (10-21-2017), Dragonlady2 (10-21-2017), Lady (10-21-2017), Mare (10-24-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Hopefully more states will follow suit.

10. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-21-2017), plax (10-21-2017)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Quote Originally Posted by plax View Post
    Good thoughts. My idea is that if the sale of commercially produced birds were precluded while private possession of the same were permitted, it would result in a mass reduction of birds produced by breeders as well as a significant decrease in wild capture, thus giving existing captive birds a far better chance of being adopted into homes. The reduction in wild capture should help preserve wild species populations.

I totally agree!..in a perfect world, this could happen. It sure is a good start. It always breaks my heart when I see birds given up for lame reasons.

12. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (10-24-2017), Dragonlady2 (10-24-2017), plax (10-24-2017)