User Tag List

Thread: Breeding

Breeding

I would like to ask question about breeding Quakers... anyone out there able/willing to share information?

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to the forum! Do you have any quakers right now? There is a Quaker breeder on the forum, but it might help if you ask some specific questions to get started.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    Welcome to the forum! Do you have any quakers right now? There is a Quaker breeder on the forum, but it might help if you ask some specific questions to get started.
    Hey Dragonlad, thx for getting back...
    I have 4 Quakers, Bianca = white female 3years old, Siniy = blue female 2.5years old. Originally I was told Siniy was a boy, and the DNA papers would be sent over, but the breeder kept forgetting it, and when Siniy laid 3 eggs this spring I j derstood why the DNA papers kept being forgotten...
    Since I bought Belly = white male. The girls allow him yo stay in the cage but as far as possible. Though when I take Siniy out of the cage the two white ones sit together. Yesterday I bought Oki, lime green male...
    The cage is no longer big enough for 4 Quakers, so I'm going to split them up, the white one together...
    And this is where I'm a bit stuck... I didn't intend to have 4 birds, but once I had them I couldn't give them away as they bonded to me and each other...
    I don't really want them to be breeding machines, though I'd like to have a baby or two...
    I'd like to ask, what's the best way to accommodate them?
    Cage size I know I'm going to give them as big a space I can.
    Do I have to house them in separate rooms?
    Can they see each other?

Any info? I'm not sure what else to ask right now...

4. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-18-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Welcome to the forum CB, I am not the person to ask about breeding but thought I would say Hi. Do you have pictures of your flock you can share with us?
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-18-2017), Lady (10-18-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Welcome to the forum CB, I am not the person to ask about breeding but thought I would say Hi. Do you have pictures of your flock you can share with us?
    No. I'm at work. But will take some tonight or tomorrow and post...

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Brown View Post
    Hey Dragonlad, thx for getting back...
    I have 4 Quakers, Bianca = white female 3years old, Siniy = blue female 2.5years old. Originally I was told Siniy was a boy, and the DNA papers would be sent over, but the breeder kept forgetting it, and when Siniy laid 3 eggs this spring I j derstood why the DNA papers kept being forgotten...
    Since I bought Belly = white male. The girls allow him yo stay in the cage but as far as possible. Though when I take Siniy out of the cage the two white ones sit together. Yesterday I bought Oki, lime green male...
    The cage is no longer big enough for 4 Quakers, so I'm going to split them up, the white one together...
    And this is where I'm a bit stuck... I didn't intend to have 4 birds, but once I had them I couldn't give them away as they bonded to me and each other...
    I don't really want them to be breeding machines, though I'd like to have a baby or two...
    I'd like to ask, what's the best way to accommodate them?
    Cage size I know I'm going to give them as big a space I can.
    Do I have to house them in separate rooms?
    Can they see each other?

Any info? I'm not sure what else to ask right now...

Hey Dragonlady, forgive my typo... I misread ur name in the previous message.

9. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-18-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Welcome @Charlie Brown,
    I too have no breeding experience and just wanted to say hello and welcome!

11. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-18-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Lady View Post
    Welcome @Charlie Brown,
    I too have no breeding experience and just wanted to say hello and welcome!
    Thx, it's nice to read all these welcomes... though I'm not quite sure I'm navigating this app yo it's max potential

13. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-19-2017), Lady (10-21-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Welcome Charlie Brown, So very sorry for the late appearance, crazy days here.

I currently breed quakers. I have two pairs of blues, one pair of green and one pair of green/blue. I will help you all I can.
    All are housed separately and unable to see each other.
    They have cages 3' x 3', but also have time outside the cage.

In the wild quakers are colony breeders. In captivity, a lot will depend on how they have been housed before.
    It is possible for them to be housed together, but you would need quite a large aviary to do so. If you are housing them together you will want to give them access to three or four nest boxes and let them choose which one they feel comfortable with. The nest boxes I use are 12"l x 8"w x 10"h. you want them to have enough room to move, but also the babies get big quite quickly. I put my nest boxes up in the spring and take them down for the winter.

They are known to build their own nests, but unfortunately I have not had the pleasure of witnessing this. From what I have seen they are amazing.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have a question or are unsure. I will try to do my best to help.

15. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (10-21-2017), Dragonlady2 (10-21-2017), Lady (10-21-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Quakerella View Post
    Welcome Charlie Brown, So very sorry for the late appearance, crazy days here.

I currently breed quakers. I have two pairs of blues, one pair of green and one pair of green/blue. I will help you all I can.
    All are housed separately and unable to see each other.
    They have cages 3' x 3', but also have time outside the cage.

In the wild quakers are colony breeders. In captivity, a lot will depend on how they have been housed before.
    It is possible for them to be housed together, but you would need quite a large aviary to do so. If you are housing them together you will want to give them access to three or four nest boxes and let them choose which one they feel comfortable with. The nest boxes I use are 12"l x 8"w x 10"h. you want them to have enough room to move, but also the babies get big quite quickly. I put my nest boxes up in the spring and take them down for the winter.

They are known to build their own nests, but unfortunately I have not had the pleasure of witnessing this. From what I have seen they are amazing.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have a question or are unsure. I will try to do my best to help.
    Wow... u answered so much already.
    When I got Bianca i dived head first into the subject ... so I'm doing as much as I can to be a good ... host to them.
    Even things like changing their diet from seeds to pellets was a dodle. Though I don't keep them on pellets. Closed quarters are with seeds and veg, peas being the fav, and the out cage (the cage in the living room behind the sofa where I sit) is pellets only which they seem to make a visit right away once out....
    I'm loving it.

My main question so far was housing... my two.pairs have separate cages, but they can see each other, I think it's a good idea as I only recently separated them (this could turn into a huge essay lol).
    My friends who breed conures and budgies also have their birds out of sight from each other (though in much smaller cages) and that's what I wanted to know as the shop where I bought Bianca had a flock of 8and only 1pair was breeding. The dominant pair. It's what i was told.
    Now, as Bianca and Siniy spent 2 years together, they still come to me when they are out leaving the boys in the dust on top of the cage, everyone snacks on pellets once in a while... but the boys still need to find their confidence when it comes to humans lol
    So, in time during the winter I will change the housing for everyone....

Ps: Siniy is the worst for screaming when she knows I'm at home... one of the budgies learned the scream... is it I furiating of funny? I haven't yet decide lol.

Thank you so much for ur time, you've been very helpful, seeing your setup would be the cherry on the cake
    Regards C

17. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (10-22-2017)