User Tag List

Thread: Severe Macaw

Parrots

Khaleesi - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Mango - Green Cheek Conure, Apollo - Severe Macaw

Severe Macaw

Hello! My new Severe Macaw rescue just came home from being at the vet for two days yesterday! He is doing pretty well, even though he has to wear an E-collar for the next two weeks. He is even coming out of his cage and sitting on top of it. Last night he actually crawled up my arm and onto my shoulder! However, All today he has been on top of his cage. He refuses to crawl back onto my shoulder and he will not get off the cage or go back in. I cannot have him out during the night and I cannot have him out by himself tomorrow while I am at work. I have tried to get him onto my arm as well as a perch but he is terrified of perches and towels! I do not know how to get him back in his cage. I've tried getting him onto my arm with food as well, but it won't work. Any suggestions?

2. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-15-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Hi Abby,
    Girl I hear ya!
    Lady has those days when she just wants to hang out on the top of her cage. What I do is close off all light from the room, curtains, doors, lights....everything but something small like a nite light. Then I sit on the floor and talk her down while digging into a cellophane bag of treats. When she hears the bag she know it has her pine nuts in it and willing comes to get some.
    On the days when she isn't so willing I start putting her cover on her cage one side at a time till she has to go or get covered up. Sometimes she wants to make a game out of that too. The most important thing to me is she finds out going into her cage is a good thing and she gets a reward for doing so.
    Sounds like he is enjoying his freedom and testing the waters with you to see what you will accept with his behavior.

4. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-15-2017), Quakerella (10-16-2017)

Parrots

Khaleesi - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Mango - Green Cheek Conure, Apollo - Severe Macaw
    I will try the covering the cage! Thank you!

6. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-15-2017), Lady (10-15-2017), Quakerella (10-16-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    They can be just like kids at bed time

I had a big kerfuffle getting Casper back into his cage at bed time on the boat this weekend because he loves being on the boat. As soon as he was in and the cage cover was on there was maybe a minute of muttering and the he was out like a light.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

8. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-16-2017), Lady (10-18-2017), Quakerella (10-16-2017)