User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rescue Bird

Parrots

Khaleesi - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Mango - Green Cheek Conure, Apollo - Severe Macaw

Rescue Bird

Hello, my name is Abby and I just created an account on this website. I have two Green Cheek Conures and am now adding another bird. A Severe Macaw. I currently work in a pet store and I've been working there for about a year. The store allows people to bring their pet birds and board them at the store while they are on a trip. Three years ago a man abandoned his cockatoo and severe macaw at the store. The cockatoo recently found a home, leaving the macaw alone. The macaw is terribly afraid of everyone and he plucks his feathers and his skin constantly. I do not believe I will be able to easily, if ever, break the self-mutilation once I bring him home. I have worked on gaining his trust throughout the year. He now takes food out of my hands and he says "hello" and "hi" to me which he has never done before. I am taking him to the vet on Thursday and then I will be taking him home. Does anyone have any good advice on how to gain his trust fully? Do you suggest any methods I should use?

Thank you.

2. The following 5 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (10-11-2017), Dragonlady2 (10-11-2017), kendrafitz (10-14-2017), Lady (10-12-2017), Mare (10-24-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to the forum Abby! How awesome that you taking in this macaw. You sound like you will be a great parront!
    We have a member that has a severe macaw and I am sure she will be along to share her experiences.

You already have the beginning of a relationship so you will be able to build on that. Time and patience are your two best assets when building a relationship with an older bird. Keep up with what you are already doing. When you finally get him home, let him settle in for a few days and spend some time sitting by his cage and reading to him. Start by opening the door and allowing him to make a decision as to whether he wants to explore.
    Does he/she have a name? Do you know how old it is?
    This must be very exciting for you

4. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (10-11-2017), Lady (10-12-2017), Quakerella (10-11-2017)

Parrots

Khaleesi - Pineapple Green Cheek Conure, Mango - Green Cheek Conure, Apollo - Severe Macaw
    I'm currently debating on a few names but I am liking Einstein the most right now! I believe he is around eight years old. Thank you for your advice!

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-11-2017), Lady (10-12-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Hello and welcome Abby
    Has he not had a name in all the years at the store? Parrots will apparently usually tell you their name after a while. If he has, even if it is just a nickname I would be inclined to stick with it as well as introducing the new name.
    Casper knows he is Casper, he always has been and reminds us often that we have to say "Hello Casper". But he sometimes comes out with Georgie Boyo which was what one of my Mother's carers used to call him because he is always reciting the Georgy Porgy nursery rhyme.
    As Helena has mentioned, it just takes time and patience by the truckload, working at the bird's pace, but it is well worth it when they do eventually decide to trust you.
    A friend's African pink which had very few feathers has recently started to let them grow again. We are not sure if there is any connection between this and the fact that we gave it a tub of Nutriberries as a present and there may have been some sort of vitamin dificiency or not. We are hoping that Major will become an African Grey again.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

8. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-11-2017), Lady (10-12-2017), Mare (10-24-2017), Quakerella (10-11-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Hi Abby and Welcome,

Great advice from above as usual.
    You seem to have gained some trust with him already, keep doing what you are doing. Patience. Keep in mind he was abandoned and could possibly fear this could happen again.

10. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-11-2017), Lady (10-12-2017), Mare (10-24-2017)

Parrots

He has never had a name. The person that abandoned him did not give a name for him. Thanks for the advice!

12. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (10-12-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Hi Abby,
    How wonderful that you are taking this special little guy home with you. It is super that you have been working on creating a trust bond with h/her all this time. Indeed how exciting!! So I see you have other birds already, how did you acquire them? Were they tame or babies when you got them? Are you also prepared to keep your new guy quarantined from them for at least 60 days? There is much to consider and prepare for when you bring a new bird into an existing home with parrots.
    I have a Illiger's Macaw which was at a pet store when we found her. We did a lot of hanging out by her cage and talking to her but she wasn't afraid of people and would come right out and onto the top of the cage.
    It has also been said somewhere that it's a good idea to drop a treat into her cage in passing so that they learn you bring good things that he or she would enjoy but it Einstein is already accepting food from your hand then that may not be needed. I agree with what has been already said, it takes quite a bit of time for some birds. Einstein will also have to adjust to a new living space and sometimes that alone can be difficult. The amount of noise around them can be difficult too.
    What are some other things you noticed about Einstein? Does he like baths in a bowl or a mister? What about his toys? Has he always been plucking his feathers even before the Too found a new home? How's his diet? Does he have foraging toys available, if he has foraging toys to keep him mentally stimulated he may lose interest in plucking.
    Just a few things to think about.
    Looking forward to hearing all about your journey with him and some pics too!

14. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (10-12-2017), Dragonlady2 (10-12-2017), Quakerella (10-14-2017)

Parrots

If the previous keeper has more than one child they are going to have communication problems

16. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-12-2017)

Parrots

I have never actually had the chance to see how he prefers to take baths. And unfortunately when he was abandoned he had been already plucking his feathers, so it has been quite a while. While in the pet store he did not have any toys besides on purple chain! I have already set up his new cage with many different toys that will be good for him as well as mentally stimulating. Thank you!

18. The following 5 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (10-13-2017), Dragonlady2 (10-12-2017), kendrafitz (10-14-2017), Lady (10-15-2017), Quakerella (10-14-2017)

Parrots

How are Khaleesi and Mango reacting to their new friend?