User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not enough hours in the day

Not enough hours in the day

Hi, I'm new to the forum.. and the bird world. Anyways. I want to get a Cockatiel but I'm away for seven hours (8:00-3:00) every day, give or take an hour, depending on the day of week. Once I'm home I am almost never busy, in fact I would love to interact with the bird for at least an hour plus a day. I'm just worried that a bird would get lonley in a silent house for seven hours 5/7 days a week. Is a Cockatiel right for me, or can I really not have a bird?

2. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-10-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Have you considered getting a pair of birds, they would keep each other company but might be less needing of your attention when you get home.
    Single birds can be kept amused by leaving a radio or television on.
    Casper has his own usb stick full of his favourite tunes which to be quite frank we are a little tired of. I never was a Shania Twain fan but he loves her singing.
    Welcome to PP by the way, have a rummage in our store cupboard, there is all sorts of interesting stuff.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

4. The following 5 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-10-2017), Lady (10-12-2017), Mare (10-24-2017), mdg1109 (10-14-2017), plax (10-10-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Hi Gracie, welcome to Precisely Parrots! There are many people who have birds that have jobs outside the home so your having a job shouldn't be a deterrent to having one. You will just have to assess whether you are able to commit to the care of a bird. They are like small children and need to be out of their cages, be with their flock (you) and have their emotional needs met. There are lots of ways to spend time with your bird. Jean-Pierre has also given some great suggestions.

Please let us know what you decide.

6. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (10-10-2017), Lady (10-12-2017), plax (10-10-2017), Quakerella (10-11-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Hi Gracie and welcome to PP.

Helena is correct in saying there are many people who work all day and still care for and love their birds.

When I was working full time Cocoa my cockatiel would get up with me in the morning and be with me while I was getting ready. He always had toys in his cage, but before I left for work he got an extra one. This toy would come down when I got home.
    His cage was open most of the time when I was home and this gave him a lot of freedom.

It is possible you just need to make sure you spend time with him when you are home. The quality of time spent with your bird is important.

8. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (10-11-2017), Dragonlady2 (10-11-2017), Lady (10-12-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Wonder if Gracie made a decision?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady View Post
    Wonder if Gracie made a decision?
    Haha, sorry. I don't really want to get a pair, so I think that a raidio on all day will keep the bird amused. What do you think?

11. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-16-2017), Lady (10-18-2017), Quakerella (10-16-2017)

Parrots

Have you considered welcoming a rescue bird into your home, there are many out there who need love. Your local vet surgery should be able to point you in the right direction as to where to look. If there isn't a rescue centre close by ask at companies that provide carers for aged/infirm humans.
    Old people often don't think through what is going to happen to a companion bird after they die.

13. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-16-2017), Lady (10-18-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Have you considered welcoming a rescue bird into your home, there are many out there who need love. Your local vet surgery should be able to point you in the right direction as to where to look. If there isn't a rescue centre close by ask at companies that provide carers for aged/infirm humans.
    Old people often don't think through what is going to happen to a companion bird after they die.

I very well have, however I have searched all over my local area on petfinder and all of the birds are not tame, I don't really know how to tame a bird and for my first bird I think I want a very lovable bird. The pet shop I buy my animals from does not buy from mass mills and tames their animals, and even has a handling room to meet your pet before you take it home. I know it would be very rewarding to own a rescue, also a lot of rescues won't adopt the birds out to people who have never owned a bird before. ( I live in Illinois if you want to look around for me tee hee) what should I do?

15. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (10-17-2017), Dragonlady2 (10-17-2017)

Parrots

Its good to hear that you have considered the option and analyzed the pros and cons. I thought I would mention it as the option often gets overlooked when people are thinking about a new roomie.

17. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-17-2017), Lady (10-18-2017), Quakerella (10-21-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Quote Originally Posted by Katydid View Post
    Haha, sorry. I don't really want to get a pair, so I think that a raidio on all day will keep the bird amused. What do you think?
    A radio is better than listening to silence within a home but foraging for food or other rewards is more stimulating and will help keep their minds busy. Just imagine sitting or standing around alone for 8 hours each day with nothing to occupy your brain.

19. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (10-18-2017), Dragonlady2 (10-23-2017)