User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trying to learn more about parakeets

Parrots

Egbert & Baird
    Quakerella, would you be able to tell me what air filter you are using, as in the specific brand? One of the birds recently passed away, and lately she has been noticing mold and mildew around her older apartment. $100.00 may be the limit on what we can afford for an air filter.

Thank you all for the advice. Much appreciated.

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Bryan Fair: I'm truly sorry to hear that one of your birds passed away. Had it been sneezing or coughing much? I didn't notice an answer from you on that. How were its droppings? Did you rule out Aspergilliosis? Oh, and concerning your response to my last reply, AGY is NOT a bacterial infection... it's considered a fungal infection (yeast)- "megabacteria" is the false name that it became tagged with prior to proper analysis. Was there significant weight loss throughout your bird's illness period? Please be mindful that since various diseases (e.g., Aspergilliosis, AGY, etc.) may negatively impact the immune system, they can make a bird more vulnerable to secondary infections (both bacterial and viral). As such, is it possible that the sinus condition was secondary to another illness? Did the vet do a fecal smear analysis prior to your bird's death? Will you have a necropsy done? It may be a very good idea.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

3. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-06-2017), Lady (12-06-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Bryan I am so very sorry to hear this. I agree with tony about getting the necropsy done. It will give you an idea whether it was something in the environment and it will help to keep your other birds and yourself healthy.

I use a Bionaire with a HEPA filter and no Ionizer. It works great for me as I have asthma. As for the mold you need to get rid of this first. Dampness and lack of air circulation is the biggest cause. Bleach and a good scrubbing will usually kill it; make sure you wear a mask.

5. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-06-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Aww Bryan I too am sorry to hear of the loss of one of your girlfriends parakeets.
    I searched the internet for a natural fungus cleaner and this is a link to the result I liked. https://www.mnn.com/your-home/at-hom...friendly-ideas I did NOT research these suggestions so please be vigilant and make sure any advice given is safe for your pets and you. I know vinegar is safe as well as baking soda on their own. I do not know how they might affect the surface you will be using them on.
    I worry about you using bleach as it is not a good choice around birds and like Quakerella stated you even should use a mask should you guys choose to use it.
    Last edited by Lady; 12-06-2017 at 08:35 PM.

7. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (12-06-2017)