User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to learn more about parakeets

Parrots

Egbert & Baird

Trying to learn more about parakeets

Hello, my name is Bryan. I'm joining this site because I have an interest in learning more about parakeets. More specifically I am trying to learn about the health of parakeets. My girlfriend has two, and nasal flushings have become the norm as of late due to runny noses (beaks?). Hopefully by checking out the various posts I can see if others have had similar issues and what they have done in response. If anyone reads this feel free to help point me to other posts that may be beneficial. Good day to all.

2. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-09-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Hi Bryan,
    Nice of you to join us. So your allergic to the parakeets? I mean their dust that is produced from their feathers. There are many articles you can read on the internet if you give it a quick search. Most have the same general information such as this one from Winged Wisdom pet bird magazine:

"How Can Feather Dust Be Controlled

There are a number of things that can be done to reduce the amount of feather dust. Frequent bathing of birds, daily sweeping, mopping and vacuuming, wiping down the cage and changing the cage liners often can help. For those who are sensitive, use a face mask when changing or cleaning the cage. Don't use a carpet in the room which contains the bird cage.

Limit the number of birds owned or get a smaller species which doesn't put out as much dust. Pet or play with birds immediately after bathing, when they are less dusty.

Changing furnace filters more frequently also helps. Some people put Hepa filtering devices in their bird rooms or other areas where they spend time. Some add these filters to their furnaces. Getting a vacuum with a Hepa filter also helps clean the air. Others use air cleaners (ionizers), but this is a controversial solution.

Replace drapes with vertical blinds, if possible. They catch less dust. There are even pillowcovers which act as filters. Dust living areas often with products like Swiffers which attract dust.

Some people will have problems, no matter what is done and should think twice about owning a bird. Others may be able to tolerate birds, but not the powder down birds. Birds are wonderful pets, but are not for everyone."

4. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (10-08-2017), Dragonlady2 (10-09-2017), Quakerella (10-08-2017)

Parrots

Egbert & Baird
    Thanks for the welcome. No ma'am, I'm not allergic. It's actually the birds that are getting runny noses. My girlfriend routinely takes them to the vet for nasal flushings. It was so bad last time that the poor things had feathers sticking to their beak. She moved out of her parents house a year ago into an apartment for college, and that is when the trouble began. It's an older apartment (with older duct work) so I'm thinking that may have something to do with it. I'm hoping someone on this site can tell me whether purchasing a air purifier is a good idea and maybe give me an idea on what direction to go for that. Thanks again for your comments.

6. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-09-2017)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Fair View Post
    Thanks for the welcome. No ma'am, I'm not allergic. It's actually the birds that are getting runny noses. My girlfriend routinely takes them to the vet for nasal flushings. It was so bad last time that the poor things had feathers sticking to their beak. She moved out of her parents house a year ago into an apartment for college, and that is when the trouble began. It's an older apartment (with older duct work) so I'm thinking that may have something to do with it. I'm hoping someone on this site can tell me whether purchasing a air purifier is a good idea and maybe give me an idea on what direction to go for that. Thanks again for your comments.
    Hi Bryan. Welcome to Precisely Parrots.

Are you sure that the sticky discharge is coming strictly from their nares and not the aftermath of perpetual vomiting? Do you ever notice them bobbing their heads in a pumping motion? If they have been repeatedly purging this sticky substance from their crops, it may be a sign of a digestive tract infection. One of those that budgies are particularly vulnerable to is called Avian Gastric Yeast (or AGY). Please have a look at the following thread: https://www.preciselyparrots.com/sho...-Gastric-Yeast

I'm not saying that's what's likely to be behind the discharged substance. I'm merely saying that it would perhaps be a good thing to rule out with a test.

Best of luck... and please keep us updated.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

8. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-09-2017), Lady (10-08-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    I found this article online maybe it will help IDK...https://www.petplace.com/article/bir...arge-in-birds/
    So the avian vet is doing the flushing.....what was the diagnosis....how long will this treatment last and didn't the vet give you any indication of what could be the cause or how to combat it?

10. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-09-2017), PlaxMacaws (10-08-2017)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Alice: the article link you've posted raises an important question for Bryan: Are these budgies sneezing beyond what's considered a normal rate during a 24-hour period (i.e., on average once or twice per day)? If it's a respiratory infection, frequent sneezing may well be a symptom. If it's a digestive tract infection and the discharged matter has been washing over the entire facial area, then increased sneezing activity may or may not be apparent.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

12. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-09-2017), Lady (10-08-2017)

Parrots

Egbert & Baird
    Thanks for all of the comments. It is definitely not vomit that is coming out of their noses. When she went to the vet, they also confirmed that the problem wasn't a result of a bacteria. So that means that it was the result of a fungus. So I think something in the house or ductwork is causing the birds poor health. Thoughts?

14. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-18-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I would definitely look at getting an air purifier and specifically one with a heppa filter and no ionization. In the US, I believe a lot of people buy Rabbit air purifiers. There may be others that will do the job as well. Does your vet recommend anything to address the issue?

16. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (10-18-2017), Quakerella (10-21-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Good advice Helena, air purifiers can do wonders. I use one all the time. I am wondering if there is something the birds may be allergic to. Sounds funny but I am sure it could be possible. Perfumes, certain foods maybe, not sure just a thought

18. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-21-2017), Lady (10-21-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Aerosols and cleaning products are more things to be aware of. After Casper was ill due to being accidentally sprayed with something unsuitable whilst his cage was being cleaned (when we first had him come to live with us and were complete novices) the vet recommended F10 for cage cleaning which is bird safe.
    He spent a week at the vets having nebulisers and stuff. The vet said he knew when Casper was feeling better because when he went in to see how Casper was one morning he was greeted by Casper saying "Can I help you" which he must have picked up from listening to the practice receptionist.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

20. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-21-2017), Lady (10-21-2017)