User Tag List

Thread: Bad wing clipping.

Parrots

Budgie named "Dobi"

Bad wing clipping.

We recently adopted a second budgie from someone rehoming her. When the person we got Hoody (who-dee) from acquired her from someone who did a really bad wing clipping including blood feathers. We're taking her to the vet to have her and her wings looked at since she likes to attempt to fly. I'm wondering though because I haven't noticed any growth (her wings have been like this for a month or two), is it possible that she'll never fly again? Also do feathers only grow back after moulting?

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Yep, feathers only grow back after moulting so she will have to wait to become airborne.
    Casper's moulting is totally random because we have controlled temperature indoors. Taking him outside a couple of times a day to get a sense of the ambient temperature and seasons doesn't seem to encourage him. If he breaks a feather (usually by dropping backwards onto his tail rather than flying down off the sofa) he tends to pluck the broken feather out and it regrows quite quickly. Presumably a broken feather is more uncomfortable than a cropped one otherwise clipped feathers would get plucked out, but not being a bird, I can't speak from experience.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

3. The following user likes this post:

Lady (09-27-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Wondering if you took Hoody to the vet as of yet and what he/she had to say about his feathers?

5. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (09-28-2017), Dragonlady2 (09-28-2017)