User Tag List

Thread: I'm new at this [emoji85]

I'm new at this

Hello everyone I am concerned for my verde. Verde is very food protective. Whenever I touch his food he growls (like actually growls like a dog) and bites the cage in my direction. He'll take treats from my hand or really any food from my hand but if I touch his bowl he throws a fit! He is going through a molt which I will address in a sec and I don't know if that's what's making him grumpy.

So verde is going through a molt however;
    1. I've had him since the ninth and he has only shed two feathers
    2. He has balding on his head and neck.
    3. He won't let me give him scritches unless I calm him down first.

Is this normal? I know that verde has experienced horrible diet, neglect, and plenty of stress but he's such a sweetheart and he's already showing improvement in his new living situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-20-2017), Lady (10-15-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Don't worry about the food bowl malarky, Casper is exactly like this even when we are putting tasty treats in his bowl. We have to be quick!
    And he also growls like a dog.
    It would be a good idea to have him examined by a avian vet if this has not been done recently which should make you aware of any problems and will give you peace of mind if he is fit and healthy.
    Feather condition may just be diet related or due to the new environment he is now living in.
    It may take a while for him to settle in so have patience
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

4. The following 5 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-20-2017), Lady (09-23-2017), parrotlover (10-18-2017), PlaxMacaws (09-22-2017), Quakerella (09-20-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I wouldn't worry about the bowl. My ekkie doesn't like me messing with his cage, toys and bowls either. Like you, he takes food from my hands.
    Normally, ekkies don't necessarily like too many scritches.

Verde could be going through a "mojo molt". It is not a regular occurrence, but some ekkies go through it at least once. They lose feathers from their head and can look quite bedraggled as they go through it. By the look of his neck, he may be overpreening a bit. Will he tolerate a daily shower/bath? He may need a little extra calcium and protein. I will give mine a bit of hard boiled egg with the shell. As well, a couple of sunflower seeds which helps in feather formation. Will he eat some cooked sweet potato? Try to distract him from the itching by giving him other things to chew on like balsa wood, thin pine pieces,little baskets etc. If available, add some chopped fresh dandelion to his food.

A vet visit wouldn't hurt to rule out any concerns.

My ekkie growls too...lol. If definitely sounds different than any other bird. It does sound like a dog growling. Willy's feathers will fluff out and he will sway from side to side...lol.

6. The following 5 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (09-20-2017), Lady (09-23-2017), parrotlover (10-18-2017), PlaxMacaws (09-22-2017), Quakerella (09-20-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Wonder how things are going.....

8. The following user likes this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (10-16-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Lady View Post
    Wonder how things are going.....
    Apologies for late response. Verde's bad feathers are falling and and new ones are growing in fine. His head and neck bald spots haven't changed though

10. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-18-2017), Lady (10-18-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    I wouldn't worry about the bowl. My ekkie doesn't like me messing with his cage, toys and bowls either. Like you, he takes food from my hands.
    Normally, ekkies don't necessarily like too many scritches.

Verde could be going through a "mojo molt". It is not a regular occurrence, but some ekkies go through it at least once. They lose feathers from their head and can look quite bedraggled as they go through it. By the look of his neck, he may be overpreening a bit. Will he tolerate a daily shower/bath? He may need a little extra calcium and protein. I will give mine a bit of hard boiled egg with the shell. As well, a couple of sunflower seeds which helps in feather formation. Will he eat some cooked sweet potato? Try to distract him from the itching by giving him other things to chew on like balsa wood, thin pine pieces,little baskets etc. If available, add some chopped fresh dandelion to his food.

A vet visit wouldn't hurt to rule out any concerns.

My ekkie growls too...lol. If definitely sounds different than any other bird. It does sound like a dog growling. Willy's feathers will fluff out and he will sway from side to side...lol.
    Sorry for late response!! Verde takes showers everyday he loves it. I feed him sweet potato once a week chopped up in his bowl and two hard boiled eggs. Vet says he's fine just keep an eye on him. His feathers are growing in and I would read the response I sent to another user right up there^^

12. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-18-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    When Casper came to us, although it wasn't immediately obvious, we found he had a bald collar around his neck under his feathers. Not sure why it was like that, maybe because he was kept in a small cage and never allowed out so didn't get the mobility needed - or poor diet as he was only given sunflower seeds "because that is all he will eat".
    Anyway, its gone now. But he does sometimes moult a complete area like his tail feathers (got down to two) or above his beak

Angry bird by Jean-Pierre Declemy, on Flickr
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

14. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (10-18-2017), Lady (10-18-2017), Quakerella (10-21-2017)