User Tag List

Thread: air quality in my area

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)

air quality in my area

As some of you may know, my state (OR) has been dealing with various large wildfires, some of which are still burning out of control. As such, for the past week our skies have been 100% overcast with dense smoke from said fires. And as if that weren't enough, the air quality here has been rated as "seriously unhealthy" from the smoke and we've been enduring unusually hot temperatures for a prolonged period.

What I've been doing to protect the respiratory health of my birds -and myself- is keeping the windows tightly sealed and the a/c running to recirculate our internal air while running my two Austin air purifiers 24/7. Thankfully, my birds seem to be handing things well. Today the outdoor temperature has finally diminished a bit but the thick smoke is still hanging over us. Hopefully it will all end in the foreseeable future.

Speaking of which, I hope Mare and her family are okay. I'm unsure if they decided to evacuate. Does anyone know? I've not heard from her since September 5.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

2. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-07-2017), kendrafitz (09-07-2017), Lady (10-12-2017), Mare (09-07-2017)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Hi, I was needed down south so Tim is holding down the fort back at home. I was concerned about leaving but Tim assured me the birds will be taken care of even in the event of an evacuation. Yeah, the fires in the north are horrible! I'm sorry you are also dealing with them but that's life in the woods! Many of our schools in the area have had to close due to smoke and the outdoor sports programs have been held up, too.

4. The following user likes this post:

PlaxMacaws (09-07-2017)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mare View Post
    Hi, I was needed down south so Tim is holding down the fort back at home. I was concerned about leaving but Tim assured me the birds will be taken care of even in the event of an evacuation. Yeah, the fires in the north are horrible! I'm sorry you are also dealing with them but that's life in the woods! Many of our schools in the area have had to close due to smoke and the outdoor sports programs have been held up, too.
    Great to know you're okay, Mare

6. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (10-09-2017), Lady (10-12-2017), Mare (09-08-2017)

Parrots

Rosie, our Greenwing Macaw (Hatchday 4/1/12)
    Oh wow. I'm so sorry for both of you and everyone in those areas. Wow, Mother Nature is really not happy lately.

Hope everyone stays safe and healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rosie & Kendra

8. The following 5 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-09-2017), Lady (10-12-2017), Mare (09-08-2017), plax (09-08-2017), Quakerella (09-11-2017)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Thank you, Kendra and Tony. Yes, the weather has been bonkers..everywhere!

10. The following user likes this post:

plax (09-08-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    There is so much devastation happening at this point in time. Glad to know you are both doing well. Good idea for you and your guys Tony. I sure hope the fires are put out soon and the air clears.

12. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-09-2017), plax (09-09-2017)

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady View Post
    There is so much devastation happening at this point in time. Glad to know you are both doing well. Good idea for you and your guys Tony. I sure hope the fires are put out soon and the air clears.
    Thanks Alice. The air here is actually much clearer today

14. The following user likes this post:

Lady (09-09-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    I too am glad to hear you are both okay. I hope they get them under control. Stay Safe.

So much devastation in the world right now.

16. The following user likes this post:

plax (09-11-2017)

Parrots

Katie- 23 yr old Catalina Macaw
    Glad to hear you guys are ok!!! So sorry about the air quality!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. The following user likes this post:

PlaxMacaws (10-09-2017)