User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: hurricane IRMA concerns

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Irma is said to be the worst on record. Jose who is closely behind Irma doesn't look much better either . I will also be keeping all of those in their path in prayer. If needed those of us who have downloaded Zello can also use it to keep in touch. When you said twitter, I suspect you also mean Finch too.

2. The following user likes this post:

plax (09-09-2017)

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack", Military Macaw "Maynard", Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer", Green-wing Macaw "Salsa"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady View Post
    Irma is said to be the worst on record. Jose who is closely behind Irma doesn't look much better either . I will also be keeping all of those in their path in prayer. If needed those of us who have downloaded Zello can also use it to keep in touch. When you said twitter, I suspect you also mean Finch too.
    Correct, Alice. Finch is one of the client apps that provides access to twitter's network. You can also log into your twitter account directly at twitter.com. Zello would indeed be a great way to keep in touch. But considering the trouble we seem to have coordinating our members to meet on our channel there while PP is online... if it goes offline I'm not holding out much hope. We'll learn tomorrow whether IRMA is going to take PP away from us

I can't get beyond the absolute horror, which has been, and will continue to be inflicted upon so many by this monster of a storm
    "Please never place your popularity above the safety of a feathered companion!"

4. The following user likes this post:

Lady (09-09-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine,Mookie-Senegal,Bella- Australian King,Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure,Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I have been following the hurricane news for the past week. I can't imagine the fear/worry that everyone is feeling in Florida. The devastation that has already happened is unbelievable. And to think that there are two more in the making

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (09-09-2017), plax (09-09-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    I have been following the hurricane news for the past week. I can't imagine the fear/worry that everyone is feeling in Florida. The devastation that has already happened is unbelievable. And to think that there are two more in the making
    I agree. I have a hard time thinking about how a person gets past such a tragedy. I always use to think I would like to move to another part of the country but I think I'm in a fairly safe weather area. Some days I really don't want to know about all the devastation but no matter where you turn your head to there's something difficult happening, so it's important to pray everyday and give thanks for all that you have.

8. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-09-2017)

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack", Military Macaw "Maynard", Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer", Green-wing Macaw "Salsa"
    It's true, some areas on our planet may be safer from certain disasters than others. But no area can be immune from all. Be it severe weather, an earthquake, destruction from fire, a mass shooting, or even a nuclear blast, we are all vulnerable to various tragedy. When available, one thing that can be helpful is advance warning. Florida has at least been fortunate in that regard. The gift of time to evacuate is a precious thing!

The South Florida Hurricane Irma channel on Zello is reporting that IRMA is making landfall at this very moment. We wish them well!

EIDT:
    Looking at the NWS map it is apparent that, notwithstanding reports, IRMA hasn't made landfall as of yet. But areas of the FL peninsula tip are currently reporting trees down and power outages already. The Keys area may be experiencing the worst of things so far. It can only become worse

EDIT2:
    The NOAA map shows that the Keys and the tip of the peninsula are currently experiencing tropical storm force winds. The hurricane force winds are still a ways from landfall.

EDIT3:
    As of 21:00 GMT, the National Hurricane Service reports IRMA to be centered at approximately 150 miles from the edge of Florida. The prediction is that it will make landfall by daybreak.

Administrator

Parrots

So this time IRMA's hurricane force is genuinely nearing landfall upon the FL peninsula. Miami is indeed getting slammed fairly hard at the moment. Power outages have been reported throughout south Florida, including in Miami. The entire FL coast is on tornado watch, as tornadoes may easily spawn from the hurricane. If power to the Miami data center goes out, generators will presumably take over to keep servers running. However, that can only last for so long. There's a strong chance that if/when power is lost it may be a long while before it gets restored. There's a lot going on for the crews down there to deal with!

11. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-10-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Jose looks like it is going to stay offshore travelling north up the east coast, probably coming ashore further north. Stay safe.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

13. The following user likes this post:

plax (09-10-2017)

Administrator

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    Jose looks like it is going to stay offshore travelling north up the east coast, probably coming ashore further north. Stay safe.
    But it's presently a category 4 storm. And because it's so large, its powerful bands have been devastating areas on both sides of the state.

EDIT:

Oh sorry, Jean-Pierre. You were talking about Jose and FL's east coast. Not Irma and its west coast. For some reason my mind spaced and I missed the pronouns in your statement - it happens sometimes . I'm unsure what Jose is going to end up doing. But if your prediction proves true it would constitute a diabolically double assault on Florida (both coasts) from two massive storms, and merely days apart. It would be both unfortunate and astonishing

15. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (09-10-2017), Dragonlady2 (09-11-2017)

Administrator

Parrots

Server Status Update

I have received information that utility power is off in the region of Miami where our data center is located. If said information is correct, it likely means the servers there are being powered via backup battery array (aka: UPS systems), which would in turn be receiving replenishment by fuel-powered generators. I was further advised that Miami-Dade County may be one of the last to receive power grid repairs. It was further stated that complete power restoration there may take as long as two weeks. I am unsure whether the data center management folks are willing to maintain generator power for the duration.

The above, of course, is important as far as PP's ability to remain online and accessible. If this website should go offline in the near future due to power unavailability, please know that I will bring it back online as soon as the data center's utility power has been restored. Prior to power restoration, I will post periodic updates from our twitter account (@ParrotForums) to keep folks as apprised as possible of developments.

17. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-11-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Wow so much weather issues have been happening from the Atlantic. I hope it has all settled down and will remain calm the rest of the season. I haven't been listening much to the news since Irma passed over Florida.

19. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-15-2017)