User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How To Evacuate Parrots When You Only Have Seconds (via request by Mare)

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"

How To Evacuate Parrots When You Only Have Seconds (via request by Mare)

He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

2. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (09-04-2017), Dragonlady2 (09-04-2017), Mare (09-04-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Unless it is your house only, or a dam is about to burst unexpectedly - landslip or earthquake scenario, then I would say why are you still there waiting for it to come your way rather than being in the next county already?
    I get really annoyed at pictures of cars up to their waist in floodwater when there has been a flood warning for three days. Just drive it to higher ground and stop making my insurance premiums higher. Rant over
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

4. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-04-2017), kendrafitz (09-05-2017), Mare (09-04-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    That is my worry if we ever have a house fire. In my mind, there are about three or four cages that will fit through the front door. If that was a viable exit, I would be putting birds together in those cages and shoving them out the door. Hopefully, they will like their new roomates. It's better than the alternative.

If I had advance notice of fire or flood, we would be loading up and heading out. My odds are better if I am in control.

6. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (09-04-2017), Mare (09-04-2017), Quakerella (09-06-2017)

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    That is my worry if we ever have a house fire. In my mind, there are about three or four cages that will fit through the front door. If that was a viable exit, I would be putting birds together in those cages and shoving them out the door. Hopefully, they will like their new roomates. It's better than the alternative.

If I had advance notice of fire or flood, we would be loading up and heading out. My odds are better if I am in control.
    Helena, have you ever considered preparing evacuation carriers for your birds? And do you have fire extinguishers on the ready?

I posted the sticky below back in 2014:

https://www.preciselyparrots.com/sho...ation-Planning

8. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-04-2017), Lady (09-09-2017), Quakerella (09-06-2017)

Parrots

What fire extinguishers could you use near parrots? Most contain pretty noxious chemicals or powders. Fire hose for the win, birdies get a free shower

10. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-04-2017), Mare (09-04-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    We have fire extinguishers and I do have crates/carriers for all the birds seeing as we have moved cross country twice now. I am thinking more about an immediate situation. I have the extra carriers in the basement and I would use them if I have the time. It would be easier if I didn't have 12 birds to evacuate.

12. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (09-05-2017), Mare (09-04-2017), plax (09-04-2017), Quakerella (09-06-2017)

Administrator

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    What fire extinguishers could you use near parrots? Most contain pretty noxious chemicals or powders. Fire hose for the win, birdies get a free shower
    You definitely would not want to use them in the immediate area of your birds. They would presumably be used in another part of your home should a fire happen to break out there. It could truly save your home... and more importantly, your feathered companions. Both halon and dry chemical extinguishers are toxic for our birds. But death from smoke inhalation or being burned alive in a fully engulfed structure fire would be far worse for them

14. The following 5 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (09-05-2017), Dragonlady2 (09-04-2017), Lady (09-09-2017), Mare (09-04-2017), Quakerella (09-06-2017)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    When I saw this article this morning, it really hit home. We are living in smoke, there are fires all over our foothills, I know many folks who have been evacuated and my son's best friend discovered today that he lost his home, vehicles and everything he owned last night, so sad. The fire planes and choppers are overhead from morning to nightfall, it's like a war zone. When I wake in the morning and look out the windows, the smoke is so thick it looks like a heavy fog. My good friend and her son came up for Kate's baby shower, she lives in Southern California, her husband called this morning and said when she was unpacking her suit case he could smell the smoke in her clothes!

We are at the ready, we could get the call anytime but I don't think I would try to grab Shaggy with a pillow case..not without chain-mail gloves on!

16. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-05-2017), kendrafitz (09-05-2017)

Administrator

Parrots

I so hope the fires don't migrate your direction, Mare. How close is the nearest one? We have wildfires going on up here, too. The sky has been entirely overcast by smoke for much of the day. They're predicting possible lightning storms here as the week progresses, which of course may ignite more fires . It's very sad to hear about the loss suffered by your son's friend

18. The following 5 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (09-05-2017), Dragonlady2 (09-05-2017), Lady (09-09-2017), Mare (09-05-2017), Quakerella (09-06-2017)

Parrots

According to the BBC this week they had a big reduction (almost 50%) of wildfires in Wales just by fire officers going around the schools explaining the dire consequences of starting fires for fun.
    The previous huge reduction was when they outlawed farmers from stubble burning.
    Other human causes are cigarette ends thrown out of cars and cars with hot catalytic converters parked over dry grass.

20. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-05-2017), Lady (09-09-2017), Mare (09-05-2017), Quakerella (09-06-2017)