User Tag List

Thread: New Budgie Owner

New Budgie Owner

I recently got two young budgies, and would like to know their sexes.The person I got them from told me that one was male and one was female. I've been reading online and am now under the impression that they are both male, can any experts help me out? Haha

https://imgur.com/a/3CLFg

2. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-04-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Hi Welcome to P. P., I'm no expert and it's hard to tell even from such a nice pic but if both their Ceres are blue I would agree that they are males.

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    That could be a problem if you were hoping to breed from them but should make things easier if that wasn't your intention
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Hi and Welcome to PP

Beautiful picture. From what I can see the one in the back seems to have a pink cere which makes be believe it is a female.
    The one in the foreground is questionable. It seems to have a touch of blue/purple at the bottom, and not quite as pink which makes me believe it is a male.

Different mutations of budgies will show different colours for the cere, not your norm of pink and blue.

6. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-04-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to the forum!

I agree with Rosalyn/Quakerella's observation regarding the color of their ceres. One definitely looks to be female. Not so sure about the other one. Were you hoping to breed them?

Parrots

Budgie named "Dobi"
    I was actually having a similar question. I don't necessarily require a bird be bonded to me specifically but I do want friendly birds I can handle and let play outside of a cage and they be tame and trained enough for me to have them step up and go back into the cage. I see people all the time with multiple budgies that are all tame. How do they do it?

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Time and patience. It could take a week to train or a few months. When birds are hand fed they are usually tame from the beginning because they are constantly handled. With a parent raised bird the same can be accomplished by continuous handling and socializing.
    Birds have their own personalities. I have had a clutch of six quakers, all hand fed and hand raised, but one may take a much longer time to tame than the others.

Tame and train at the pace of the bird, if you rush him/her you just may set yourself back weeks. Trust is first and foremost. If they don't trust you then you will not accomplish anything.

10. The following user likes this post:

plax (09-05-2017)