User Tag List

Thread: Fire season..Again..!

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!

Fire season..Again..!

We live in central California and summertime is scarytime for us. We had a wet winter and that provides fuel for our summer fires, sadly. There are three entries to Yosemite Nat. Park, one is from Mariposa, CA..one is from Lee Vining, eastern side of the Sierras..and the other is from Oakhurst, CA. My niece lives in Mariposa and a couple weeks ago the WHOLE town was evacuated because of a wild fire. She and her family stayed with us until they were cleared to go home.

We now have two huge burns going on this side of the Park, Oakhurst entryway and know many folks that are being affected. In my 38 years of living in this area of California, I've noticed in just the past, maybe 6 years, a major difference in climate and it's effects on our environment. Our summers are just a little bit hotter every year and that adds to fire danger.

Has anyone else noticed weather pattern changes?

2. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (08-31-2017), Dragonlady2 (09-01-2017), kendrafitz (09-02-2017), Quakerella (09-01-2017)

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Yes. I think our global climate shift is a very real phenomenon. Massive tornadoes everywhere. Huge hurricanes pummeling the US gulf region. Arctic ice melting at an alarming rate. Prolonged heat waves in areas normally immune from such. And reputable climate scientists tend to share consensus on a cause.

I'm glad you have experience tracking those wildfires in your area, Mare. I'm confident that you'll evacuate if/when the risk of not doing so becomes too great. If I remember correctly, you have a network of neighbors and relatives who look out for one another on wildfire status. Please keep up with that!
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

4. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-01-2017), Mare (09-01-2017), Quakerella (09-01-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Looking back at our local stats we don't seem to be getting much change.
    When I was a kid the news was that we were heading for a mini ice age but the reverse seems to be happening, glaciers melting and Arctic ice cap shrinking. Which is likely to continue unless there is another Mount St Helens type incident. Crikey, just googled and that was 37 years ago.
    Who knows what planet earth is going to do, with or without us doing our best to mess it up. I hope we haven't messed it up too much for our grandchildren.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

6. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-01-2017), Mare (09-01-2017), PlaxMacaws (09-01-2017), Quakerella (09-01-2017)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Quote Originally Posted by PlaxMacaws View Post
    Yes. I think our global climate shift is a very real phenomenon. Massive tornadoes everywhere. Huge hurricanes pummeling the US gulf region. Arctic ice melting at an alarming rate. Prolonged heat waves in areas normally immune from such. And reputable climate scientists tend to share consensus on a cause.

I'm glad you have experience tracking those wildfires in your area, Mare. I'm confident that you'll evacuate if/when the risk of not doing so becomes too great. If I remember correctly, you have a network of neighbors and relatives who look out for one another on wildfire status. Please keep up with that!

Sadly, mr. trump does not agree with the reputable climate scientists..fricken' idiot that he is,

We do have a network here in the mountains that watch each other's back. I'm proud of my community.

8. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (09-01-2017), Dragonlady2 (09-01-2017), PlaxMacaws (09-01-2017), Quakerella (09-01-2017)

Nobility Member

Parrots

I'm with you, Jean-Pierre..we can only hope! After Trump took office, our nation seems to be back sliding. I'm all for a REVOLUTION!

10. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (09-01-2017), Dragonlady2 (09-01-2017), PlaxMacaws (09-01-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Our weather is is the strangest I can remember. 30 degrees during the day, down to 2 at night, 15 degrees the next day then up to 25. I can't seem to dress appropriately for the temperature anymore.

12. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-01-2017), kendrafitz (09-02-2017), Lady (09-02-2017), Mare (09-04-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Living on such a small island I have trouble comprehending that your State is having wildfires whilst next door in Texas they have had such horrendous flooding.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

14. The following 4 users like this post:

kendrafitz (09-02-2017), Lady (09-02-2017), Mare (09-04-2017), Quakerella (09-03-2017)