User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can a small cage make a bird nervous?

Parrots

Budgie named "Dobi"

Can a small cage make a bird nervous?

We just got a new budgie the same day as my fiances Mom. However her budgie is playing chirping whereas ours is not. He's been shy and skittish. Our cage is much smaller than her cage, could the cage be a factor?

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Sounds logical. If he/she doesn't have enough room to climb around and explore what's left to do?

http://www.budgie-info.com/budgie-cages.html

Parrots

Budgie named "Dobi"
    Just not sure. Purchased a new cage though. Just waiting for it to arrive. Andy is getting better though. Hopefully the new cage will really help. His old cage will serve as a travel cage.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Is Andy the name of your new budgie? What do you mean he is getting better???? I must of missed something....

Parrots

Budgie named "Dobi"
    Oh. Not sure if you had kept up with the previous posts in the other thread. Dobi passed away from what seemed to be a combination of respiratory infection and an other unknown ailment. He went from being fine to slightly symptomatic and died all within a span of 2 days. We had no real clue he was sick until one day I noticed that the feathers above his nose changed color. I made the vet appointment for the next day as he was still eating and drinking and moving about, but that morning I lifted the cover off the cage and he was dead we guess he was sick when we got him and just never knew.

Parrots

Budgie named "Dobi"
    We got Andy after we decided we wanted to try again at budgies and spent more time to make sure we got a healthier bird. Andy is about 3 months old in good health as far as I can tell. He's very shy and not very vocal compared to my fiances mothers bird who she has somehow already tamed within a few days. I guess her bird is really social... Andy chirps and warbles occasionally but very softly. He's very very shy right now though often panting when we get close to his cage (but not from afar). He does enjoy watching TV with us and we're hoping a larger cage will help him be more calm.

Parrots

Budgie named "Dobi"
    I just want to have a happily tamed bird that can be outside the cage with us while we relax and watch TV that does cute funny stuff like other people have lol.

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    I brought home a cockatiel from our local pet store, one I was feeling sorry for..it was all alone in a smallish cage, no toys, just a seed cup, water cup and one perch. Every time I would visit the shop, I never saw any action from this bird..yeah, call me empathetic. Anyways, he is now in a big cage, still a bit scared and still just perches on a top perch, doesn't move around much, I've never seen him eat but know he does, he leaves evidence everywhere...but WOW..can this bird sing!! The other tiels are in AWE! 😊 What I'm getting at is, not all birds have the personality to be outgoing and trusting enough to be what you want or expect them to be. Maybe given the time and patience, Andy may come out of his shell.
    Last edited by Mare; 08-30-2017 at 04:32 AM.

9. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-30-2017), Lady (08-31-2017), plax (08-30-2017)

Parrots

Budgie named "Dobi"
    New cage coming today. So hopefully it helps.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Well having more room in the cage is great, it helps with exercising and stretching their wings. If Andy is shy it is more likely it is because he is in a new home. He is also by himself which can be scary if he grew up with a flock of other birds around. If I read correctly you just got him recently. You got to give him a few weeks to develop some comfort in his new surroundings. Remember how big we are compared to them, there is also new sounds and sights that he is not familiar with let alone smells. People can be loud and so can all that goes on around our homes, be patient, he will come around when he's ready.