User Tag List

Thread: Mysterious Ringneck Dove...

Mysterious Ringneck Dove...

So! I have a ringneck dove named Gorou (pronounce go-row, like to row a boat). He's... an active, generally healthy-seeming bird. He was a rescue, and aside from always being a bit stupid and having really mysterious symptoms come and go, he really is an active little guy.

Those symptoms are problematic, though... right after I got him, it was seizures, which would come and go, it usually was a quick seizure followed by listlessness for about 6 hours and then he acted normal again, like nothing happened. Of course, I did take him to the vet as this very much spooked me, but it was a long time ago and by the time his appointment came round he was acting normal again!

Recently, his problems have been related to a trauma he had. He's always been an uneven flier, recent x-rays led my vet to believe he has some old unsettled fractures on his keel that are causing him to have poor flight control. Because of this, he hit the wall twice and ended up bleeding from his beak, I was crying everywhere and the vet told me he was going to die lol. He didn't, he made it thru and was acting normal again literally the next day, after all the vet did was give him fluids. He's really amazing. That was a long time ago, but mysteriously he started losing feathers around the eye that had bled at the time. The skin is clean & clear, although the eye swells... I received some anti-inflammatory and antibiotics from the vet, which I'm using, they help the swelling go down but they've been doing nothing to prevent the baldness on his face from spreading. I can now see his little ear hole clearly.

He does have a newish nest mate, his old nest mate passed away recently (I think his mourning did contribute to an upspike in symptoms). They get along great and have even had a clutch already but I don't know her well enough to know if she's force grooming him, I haven't seen it and she seems actually way gentler than Gorou's previous mate but I just don't know what's going on with this baldness!

Anyway, to be honest I'm mostly just sharing, because even from all these details I don't think anyone will have any idea... But please, if you do, share! Right now I'm between jobs and in kind of a dire financial situation, so I can't bring him to the vet as quickly as I'd like, and any suggestions will be seriously appreciated. I know someone will ask for photos, so here! One shows how much bigger the affected eye is, and one mostly shows baldness.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imageedit_5_9459511697.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	66.7 KB 
ID:	5006Click image for larger version. 

Name:	imageedit_2_7214723534.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	81.5 KB 
ID:	5007

The vet has suggested eventually removing the affected eye... but he does sometimes seem to be able to see out of it, maybe. So I'd like to avoid it, but I'd be curious to hear advice on that, too. I have no idea how old he is, because he's a rescue, so there's also that.

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Wonderful of you to take in a rescue, but sorry to hear of the issues you are having.

Unfortunately I don't have any ideas or suggestions for you, I wish I did.

Maybe this link will help a littlehttp://azeah.com/birds-cockatiels-co...s/eye-swelling

I hope you get some answers. Someone else may have some ideas for you.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Your poor bird. The feather loss may also have come from the swelling. Rosalyn has included an interesting link and it may be worth considering.
    Hopefully, he recovers without having the eye removed. Is the swelling going down now?

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Wow poor little guy. I hope you find some answers for all the issues your bird is having. As far as his eye, this is a link that also might help: http://www.petmd.com/bird/conditions..._Eye_Disorders

BTW,

Thanks for the responses! I'll check out the links, continue administering medicine, and as soon as I can afford it I'll take him back. Actually, I didn't mention but I should have... I couldn't afford bloodwork, but during my last appointment my vet "dropped" him on the xray machine (she gave me a heart attack when she said that but she was just being coy lol) and the bones were so transparent, she suspected he may have a calcium deficiency. Oh, and lol I should also mention that after years of thinking he's a boy he did lay eggs after his mate passed away, they were either both egg-layers or I totally misjudged who was laying. Anyway, could calcium deficiency cause feather loss at this rate? Probably not this concentrated, though...

He hasn't been laying recently, he's sitting on wooden eggs and seems pretty satisfied that they're real for the time being .

He is on a calcium solution and I've changed his food mix to more pellets than seeds to combat it. I won't know if it's making a difference until I take him in again, though. Anyway I know this is mostly just kind of bouncing ideas off the wall and my final plan IS to take him to the vet, but like I said any ideas are super appreciated and thanks so much

6. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-26-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Quakerella View Post
    Wonderful of you to take in a rescue, but sorry to hear of the issues you are having.

Unfortunately I don't have any ideas or suggestions for you, I wish I did.

Maybe this link will help a littlehttp://azeah.com/birds-cockatiels-co...s/eye-swelling

I hope you get some answers. Someone else may have some ideas for you.
    I looked at this link, and--what luck! A different bird of mine was diagnosed with a possible vitamin A deficiency, totally minor but my vet sent me home with some vitamin A stuff to mix in with her seeds & pellets. She said it was harmless and I could mix it in with large batches that even other birds eat so maybe I'll just mix some with Gorou's food as well! I don't know if this is the root cause, but it makes sense to me for a vitamin A deficiency to at least be contributing.

8. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (08-28-2017), Dragonlady2 (08-26-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    I know it's only been a few days but any word on how Gorou is doing?

Parrots

Black Headed Caiques, Budgies, Starling past: Conures, Macaws, Amazons, Cockatiels, Ringneck
    Quote Originally Posted by hiriki View Post
    during my last appointment my vet "dropped" him on the xray machine (she gave me a heart attack when she said that but she was just being coy lol) and the bones were so transparent, she suspected he may have a calcium deficiency. Oh, and lol I should also mention that after years of thinking he's a boy he did lay eggs after his mate passed away, they were either both egg-layers or I totally misjudged who was laying. Anyway, could calcium deficiency cause feather loss at this rate? Probably not this concentrated, though...
    Calcium deficiency can cause lots of seemingly unrelated problems. I rescued some cockatiels that had bad living conditions: they had been feed a poor diet. The mom died after laying a clutch, of the 5 eggs, three hatched and only one made it into adulthood. Uno, as I named him had problems with rubbery bones (the vet gave him oral calcium to him those up) and then for the rest of his life, he had to get air sacs popped periodically as they would inflate and not go back down. He was a sweet bird that was adopted by someone much like you, who cared for him and his special needs.
    Squawk and Howl: Parrot-Centric Pet Sitting & Behavioral Consultations in Columbus, Ohio

We also power wash cages, offer avian catering, and more!

11. The following 3 users like this post:

Lady (09-14-2017), plax (09-12-2017), Quakerella (09-12-2017)