User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A hand feeding question

I've been watching him eat and ot looks like he's playing with it more than actually eating it. What should i do?

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    You don't want to force him. Make sure you offer him a lot of various tyoes of foods (good food of course). He will refuse the final feeding when he is ready.

If you are able to handle, gently feel the front of him. You will feel the bone down the middle, each side of the bone should feel somewhat "meaty" If it is concaved he is not eating enough.

I am very surprised he was let go to you and not fully weaned. This is not a good practice as weaning is a stressful time for a bird.

For his own health and happiness, you need to wean him at his own pace. He will let you know when he is ready.

3. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-21-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    What was the store feeding him beside the handfeeding formula? I would take him back to the store and have them do a quick check on him. They have a baseline and will be able to tell quickly if he requires something different. I am with Rosalyn on this, the store should not have sent him home unless he was finished weaning and abundance weaned.

It could be that he is just adjusting to his new surroundings, but a quick check won't hurt.

5. The following user likes this post:

Quakerella (08-22-2017)

When we got him we got the exact same thing he was eating. he'll eat dried fruit but not the pellets i'll try to feel his bones in a bit he just ate i'll let you guys know if they feel ok

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I say this not to be critical of you, you are doing your best, but because I worry about your bird. To make the transition from handfeeding to regular food, he needs to start with some soft, mushy foods. Dried fruits have extra sugar and the possibility of sulphites that are not good for birds. They are also harder to chew for a baby bird.
    Try some mashed banana, cooked and mashed sweet potato, cooked and chopped carrots. You can even try a little cooked oatmeal. Keep pellets in the cage for him to try/play with. He will eventually see that he can eat them. Also try leafy greens like kale. He could easily take a bite from a leaf.

8. The following user likes this post:

Quakerella (08-22-2017)

I felt his bone and it felt somewhat meaty like you said so he must be eating

- - - Updated - - -

I will try feeding him some mashed sweet potatoes and kale

10. The following user likes this post:

Quakerella (08-22-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Yes soft foods are a must, scrambled egg(with the shell) is a good source of calcium and protein, all the foods Helena mentioned are a good start.

12. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-23-2017)

I gave him some kale and he ate a good amount of it i will make the scrambled eggs and sweet mashed potatoes tomorrow

14. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-23-2017), Lady (08-26-2017), Quakerella (08-24-2017)

Parrots

Greenwing macaws,Blue and Gold macaws,Calico macaws.Military macaws,Severe macaw,Hahns macaw,firey shouldered conures,Sun conures,Blue crowned conure,Blackwinged jardine,Greater jardine,Quakers,Congo african greys,Jenday conure,goldcapped conure and SI eclectus
    What we have found to work with great success is a frozen store bought berry mix. heres why.
    You thaw the berries which will also leave you with a bunch of juice. Be sure the portion sizes are small enough for him to handle. Put some berries and some juice in with the pellets and mix up. The juice will soften the pellets which will interest him..the berries will get him eatting everything. Do not offer formula prior to offering the morning feed.
    At 3 months our suns have always been weened.
    "Ivo"

16. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-30-2017), Mare (08-31-2017), Quakerella (08-30-2017)

Hello im back sorry i didnt respond for such a long time school started and i got all caught up in that. I thawed some frozen berries for him before and he didnt like it i'll try it later today. Also i made him scrambled eggs and he eat a little but not a lot. He still eats around 5cc twice a day. I'll keep you guys updated

18. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-07-2017)