User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A hand feeding question

A hand feeding question

got my baby sun conure yesterday and i am hand feeding him he's 5 months old and hes the store said he is taking around 5-10cc and the evening i got him he ate 5cc then this morning he ate 5cc then tonight he ate 2cc i fed him an hour early though because im trying to get him on my schedule. when i would practice hand feeding him at the store he would eat 10cc maybe more but he always saw his siblings eat so maybe he just got jealous so he ate more. But idk im new to this im gonna try feeding him at his regular time at 7 but let me know your opinions.

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Congratulations Liam on your new friend.

I am curious though, if your new sun is 5 months old why are you hand feeding? Is it for a bonding issue?

He should be fully weaned and eating on his own. What does he eat during the day?

3. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-20-2017)

Sorry there was a typo hes 3 months old. He should be weaning soon though. The employee said they take longer than most birds and when he was in the baby room there were a lot of birds being fed so she thought he was just jealous of the other birds. Theres no bonding problem i've been visiting him everyday for like an hour since he was around 3 weeks old so there should be no bonding problem

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Are you providing other food as well for him? He should be getting some chopped fresh food and some pellets in his cage during the day. I am thinking the handfeeding formula is more of a comfort feeding. Is he getting the handfeeding formula via syringe or spoon?

He has pellets in his cage all the time. I dont give him fresh fruit often so i will give him more. We have a chihuahua who wants to eat him. Lol. So maybe he uses the formula as a comfort food for that. I give it to him via syringe.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Oh my, It sounds like he's stressed..... It would probably be best if you could keep your dog out of the birds sight and out of the room he is in.

Super Moderator

Parrots

At this age he should be just about completely weaned. I would give fresh veggies and a little fruit, pellets should be in the cage at all times. Try giving him whole grain cheerios or all bran, scrambled egg, rice, or whole grain bread. These are all soft enough for him to eat at this age.

The last feeding of the day is usually the last one left on the handfeeding schedule. It is a comfort feeding and should be given just before the lights go out and he goes to bed. I wouldn't keep him on it much longer though.

9. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-20-2017), Mare (08-31-2017)

Ok thank you guys i'll keep the pups out of the room and i'll give him what you guys said i'll let you know if he eats any of the formula

11. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-20-2017), Lady (08-20-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

If he refuses the formula, then the handfeeding is complete. Just monitor him to make sure he is eating the other foods and not just playing with them.

13. The following user likes this post:

Lady (08-20-2017)

He ate 7ccs today so i have no idea whats going on with him maybe he likes the morning feed better then the night one