User Tag List

Thread: Sun Conure Question

Sun Conure Question

Hi! I plan on getting a sun conure someday. My question is, could I have one while in highschool? I would be gone from 6:20 am to about 4:00 pm, my mom would leave the house at 7:00 am. If I were to get one should I wait so I don't have to leave it alone for so long or would he be fine?I don't think it'd be but I have never owned a bird. Thanks!

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Hi Noah, and welcome to PP.

I would personally wait until you, or someone else is there to spend more time with him/her.

Sun Conures need continual interaction. They are a loud bird by nature, and not receiving the attention they require could cause them to be exceptionally loud and somewhat annoying. It could also result in other behavioural issues such as feather plucking.

If you do decide to purchase one at this time, I would recommend a lot of various toys to keep him/her interested and occupied, also a small radio close to the cage may help. You would also need to spend a lot of time with him/her before and after school, so trust can be gained and you can bond.

3. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (08-17-2017), Dragonlady2 (08-17-2017), Lady (08-18-2017), ntaylor7746 (08-17-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to Precisely Parrots, Noah!

I pretty much agree with what Quakerella has said. There is always time when you are settled in a job, home etc, to get a bird.

Seeing as you have never had a bird before, where did your interest come from? If you have a shelter/rescue nearby, you could gain some experience by volunteering there. You may have an opportunity to meet different species which will give you some idea of what bird will fit best in your home.

5. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (08-17-2017), Lady (08-18-2017), ntaylor7746 (08-17-2017), Quakerella (08-17-2017)

My interest in birds is sparked from my love of animals and how intelligent and amazing they are. Sadly, there is no shelters near here for any animal but dogs and pets. I did go to a local petland where they have open cages for parakeets, ferrets, rabbits, and occasionally sun conures as they don't always have them. One hopped on my finger and I loved it, and I have always loved animals and I love researching them, I love knowing how to care for them. I own a gecko and do plan on getting more animal as time goes on!

7. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-18-2017), Quakerella (08-19-2017)