User Tag List

Thread: Questions before I get a bird

Parrots

I had a cockatiel over 15 years ago.

Questions before I get a bird

So, I have no parrots as of yet. I am joining this forum to get advice before I purchase one. I had a cockatiel many years ago and he was a wonderful pet. I am now considering having a budgie, a cockatiel, one of each, or two of one species. I have found a breeder that has hand fed babies. He is telling me that it will be fine to raise a cockatiel and a parakeet in the same cage, as long as they are both babies that were raised together. They are actually currently in the same incubator. Perhaps this is not the correct place to ask this question, so I will search around on the forum a bit.

I understand that once they reach maturity, this is especially when things could start to not go well. I have also heard that at any time, any two birds can get irritated with each other. It is also true that there is a size difference, which means the budgie is probably more at risk. I also understand that they have different dietary needs.

I don't want to do anything that will be dangerous or potentially harmful. I have no idea if keeping these two birds together is common place and not that risky or if it is a big no-no. I was planning to get the largest Vision cage to house the two birds.

Why do we want a budgie and a cockatiel? Well, I am interested in budgies because of their quirks and I love their chirpy voices. I have heard, from the breeder, that they will not become hand tame and bonded unless they have around three hours of time with their owner a day and that if you miss a day, they will just revert to wild. He spoke highly of cockatiels in that they are pretty easy going and gentle birds. The cockatiel is supposed to be more chill and want to hang around on a shoulder, where the budgie might just be pretty flighty. If I get a budgie, he will need friends... Then they may just end up being a bunch of birds who are not tame, but just pretty to look at... This is what the breeder has me thinking, that they will bond with each other and not to me at all.

Perhaps it is better to get two cockatiels, but am I running the same risk with them not getting along in the future?

I sincerely hope that I am over thinking this, as I would love to have a budgie and a cockatiel. Remember, these are hand fed birds that are in the same incubator at the moment.

One other thing to consider is that I have a cat... She was born without a rear leg, so she cannot jump higher than the seat of the sofa, but she has claws. She is pretty emotional and quirky. We babysat guinea pigs for two months and all she did was stare at them, no aggression. She seemed to like the company. Birds may be different though. Is it a terrible idea to bring a bird into a house with a cat? I don't want the birds to be living in fear with a creepy cat staring at them all day.

If this is posted in the wrong place, forgive me!

Thank you for any advice you can offer before I become a bird owner.

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    It is excellent that you have asked the questions beforehand.

The honest answer about cats is that you can never trust them completely so even if the cat and bird get on fine you will always be stressed in case something horrible happens. Every vet has a horror story. Cats hunt birds - its what they do.
    If you can keep the cat out of the house (notice I didn't say room because doors get accidentally or unknowingly left open) when the bird is free flying and the cage is high enough that your poor cat cannot reach it then you may consider the risk assessment.
    I would never leave them together in a room unattended even if the bird is in its cage.

Whenever there are more than one bird together they will be more likely to prefer each other to your company. They will still like you but it will make your friendship a little more effort. But, if you are out for most of the day then they will be good company for each other and I would prefer this to a single bird without a 'flock' (human or avian) to relate to.

Something I always recommend is that you look into getting your birds from a rescue centre as there are too many unfortunate birds who need a loving home.
    Last edited by Casper's 2nd best friend; 08-15-2017 at 09:38 PM.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

3. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-15-2017), Lady (08-18-2017), plax (08-16-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Hi and welcome to the forum! You have asked some great questions.

You have received great advice from Casper's 2nd best friend.

You will be better off housing 2 of the same species together. If you want a cockatiel and a budgie, I think 2 separate cages is best. You have already identified that their diets would be different. Budgies are active and chittery. This may annoy a cockatiel. If you don't have the room for two cages, better to just get one species for now.

As to the cat. Definitely not in the same room. My only issue with cats outside is the risk of it killing songbirds or potentially getting hurt by another cat or dog. The bird(s) will be stressed out if the cat is present and your cat will always be on the lookout for an opportunity. Can you devote one room with a door for your birds? You would have to monitor this all the time.

Unfortunately , your relationship with the birds will be affected by having a cat. You will always have to keep them separate for safety and so the time out for the birds will be limited, giving you less time with them.
    Maybe you can start with just one bird to see how it will fit into your household.
    Last edited by Dragonlady2; 08-16-2017 at 12:12 AM.

5. The following user likes this post:

plax (08-16-2017)

Parrots

Thank you for the info! I'm really second guessing this whole idea. My cat was born to feral parents, but abandoned by her mother at three weeks because she was missing her rear leg. The mother took the healthier two kittens and hid them. This cat has serious emotional issues and pains from her leg. I do wish we could have more animals though. She does great with guinea pigs, but we are all allergic to hay. She might be relaxed and not aggressive around birds, but it's impossible to know till I try. I've been looking for parakeets on Craigslist, but all are gone when I get ahold of people. Many have been used for experimental breeding by people who think it will be fun, sadly.

Parrots

Thank you! I suspected that it was not a good idea to have a parakeet and a cockatiel in the same cage...

Because you are so adamant about the cat being away from the birds, I'm not sure if this will work. There is no way she can jump up to them, but she can stare at them and that can make a bird nervous. I'd have the birds in our family room and while it has doors, I cannot lock the cat out. It would upset her...

We've been through this all last year when we found another kitten on the side of the road that was near death. We fixed her up and tried a proper introduction, slowly. My cat never accepted the other one. She tried to kill it any chance she got.

I am very glad I posted these questions because I'm thinking that birds are a horrible idea with my cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonlady2 View Post
    Hi and welcome to the forum! You have asked some great questions.

You have received great advice from Casper's 2nd best friend.

You will be better off housing 2 of the same species together. If you want a cockatiel and a budgie, I think 2 separate cages is best. You have already identified that their diets would be different. Budgies are active and chittery. This may annoy a cockatiel. If you don't have the room for two cages, better to just get one species for now.

As to the cat. Definitely not in the same room. My only issue with cats outside is the risk of it killing songbirds or potentially getting hurt by another cat or dog. The bird(s) will be stressed out if the cat is present and your cat will always be on the lookout for an opportunity. Can you devote one room with a door for your birds? You would have to monitor this all the time.

Unfortunately , your relationship with the birds will be affected by having a cat. You will always have to keep them separate for safety and so the time out for the birds will be limited, giving you less time with them.
    Maybe you can start with just one bird to see how it will fit into your household.

8. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (08-16-2017), Dragonlady2 (08-16-2017), Quakerella (08-17-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Maybe you could see if you have a shelter in your area that rescues birds. You could volunteer there and get some experience with handling birds. It is not the same as owning them, but you would still be able to have the fun of playing/taking care of them.

10. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (08-16-2017), plax (08-16-2017), Quakerella (08-17-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Excellent idea, I like that, get all the pleasure without the hassle of ownership and you would be doing something really worthwhile... apart from the risk of wanting to take them all home with you
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

12. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-16-2017), plax (08-16-2017), Quakerella (08-17-2017)