User Tag List

Thread: Bird Mites

Parrots

Cockatiel

Bird Mites

Hello! I recently discovered my 15 year old cockatiel has what I assume are bird mites. (I believe I have attached a zoomed in photo of them) There are a ton of tiny bugs all over her cage and I managed to spot one at the base of her tail. ): We cleaned the entire cage with a disinfectant (while she was out of it) and have tried a home remedy of spraying a mixture of vinegar and water on both the bird and cage. Within an hour they returned. I am hesitant to use a bird spray from the pet store because I've heard they're dangerous. What are your thoughts?

Thank you for any help!!
    -Kelly and Tweety
    Attachments Attachments IMG_4205.jpg  

2. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-13-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Hi an welcome to PP.

So sorry to hear of the problem you are having with mites.

Did you only find one on her tail or were there more?
    You cleaned her cage, did you give her a bath as well?
    You will also need to thoroughly clean and disinfect the room where the cage is, inclucing the carpets, curtains, bed, furniture, etc.

I would start looking elsewhere for the issue and not at your bird. Carefully look inside and outside your house, do you have any bird's nests nearby?
    Look at all the brickwork, gutters soffits, everything. Look inside your house at any little cracks, windows, doors, attic openings etc.
    Many times these little critters are coming from outside the house.

You need to pinpoint the problem area before you will be able to get rid of them.

Good luck and keep us posted.

4. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (08-14-2017), Dragonlady2 (08-13-2017), Lady (08-13-2017), mdg1109 (09-30-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Welcome to Precisely Parrots. I agree with Quakerella/Rosalyn, your infestation is coming from somewhere other than your bird. There is a product called Diatomaceous Earth-food grade that you can sprinkle on the bottom of the bird cage as well as dust the bird. As a precaution, avoid dusting the bird around the head. I have used this stuff myself. Here is a link that will explain how it works. https://richsoil.com/diatomaceous-earth.jsp

6. The following 4 users like this post:

Lady (08-13-2017), mdg1109 (09-30-2017), plax (08-14-2017), Quakerella (08-13-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Great article Helena, and excellent idea. I would imagine this will take care of those little critters.

8. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-13-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    I can't offer any advice but welcome to PP and I hope the problem gets solved.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Quote Originally Posted by Quakerella View Post
    Hi an welcome to PP.

So sorry to hear of the problem you are having with mites.

Did you only find one on her tail or were there more?
    You cleaned her cage, did you give her a bath as well?
    You will also need to thoroughly clean and disinfect the room where the cage is, inclucing the carpets, curtains, bed, furniture, etc.

I would start looking elsewhere for the issue and not at your bird. Carefully look inside and outside your house, do you have any bird's nests nearby?
    Look at all the brickwork, gutters soffits, everything. Look inside your house at any little cracks, windows, doors, attic openings etc.
    Many times these little critters are coming from outside the house.

You need to pinpoint the problem area before you will be able to get rid of them.

Good luck and keep us posted.
    Good tips.

Super Moderator

Parrots

I wonder if she found the area of infestation and was able to get rid of them?

12. The following user likes this post:

Lady (09-23-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    hopefully she will stop in and let us know.

14. The following user likes this post:

Quakerella (09-25-2017)