8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels

Meet Picaso and Saphire

This is Picaso at 1 day old.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	103_8999.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	4991

This is Picaso at 5 days old and Saphire at 2 days old.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	103_9021.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	22.2 KB 
ID:	4992

These are my miracle babies.

When I pinched the nerve in my back my hubby came to the rescue and started to take care of feeding the birds. I really appreciate all his help as I was unable to do many tasks, and still am. I am not sure if the change of caregiver has anything to do with this or not, but I really can't think of anything else that would cause the following issue.

My blue quakers laid 8 eggs from June 3 to June 16. Bella seemed to be incubating okay and the temperature and humidity in the aviary was fine. In fact my green quakers laid 4 eggs around the same time, from June 14 to 21st. Everything seemed normal. Eggs were candled and greens showed 4 fertile, and the blues showed 6 fertile one was sterile and the last one was questionable.

I was expecting the blues to start hatching approximately June 28th, but nothing. I left it for a few days and still nothing, so I candled again. We were still showing 6 fertile eggs and 2 sterile. I could see the heartbeat and also the black spot for the eye, but slow developement.

July 9 the greens started hatching and I have four new beautiful baby green quakers. That is the last clutch for the year, the nest box gets removed after the second clutch. Still no blues. We are now at 36 days of incubation.

My husband told me whenever he went out she was in the nestbox, so I assumed she was incubating. On July 15 I checked the nest box and there were only 6 eggs. I candled the remaining eggs and found 2 were sadly dead in shell and one sterile egg.

Unfortunately and careless on my part, I have never purchased an incubator. In all the years I have been breeding I have never needed one, but I needed one now. I had to pull these eggs right away. I didn't have time to order an incubator online as it would take close to a week if not more for me to receive it, and there are no stores here to purchase one. So I put my creative thinking to work and made one. Styrafoam cooler, 25 watt lightbulb for heat, aquarium heater for humidity, I had a hygrometer already so we were all set. I put the water in the cooler and added the heater. I already had a light fixture that was for a single light bulb and it had the prongs, so I cut a hole in the side and put the fixture through the hole and used duct tape on the outside to hold it. I put in the bulb and poked holes in the sides for ventilation. Plugged in the heater and the bulb and waited. The humidity went up and so did the heat. After a few manipulations and adding holes to the lid of the cooler, I reached a constant 99 degrees and 49% humidity. I put a wire rack in the cooler to hold the eggs and in went the 3 eggs.

I monitored this very closely. After about 1 week I candled the eggs, all three showed growth and movement. I was pleased, but still skeptical about the final outcome. I wasn't going to give up though. These little ones desrved a chance.

On July 31st I candled the eggs and noticed draw down in one egg (This is when the air sac gets larger just before hatching) I was thrilled. I moved the egg to the hatcher and monitored the humidity closely. One August 1st I found draw down of the second egg so I moved it to the hatcher as well.

August 2 came around and I watched the first little one hatch, his/her name is Picaso. The third egg showed draw down so I moved it to the hatcher as well.

On August 4 the second baby hatched. Everything seemed to be okay, but unfortunately it wasn't; he didn't last through the night. On August 5 the third little one hatched. This is Saphire.

The incubation period for these little ones was between 49 and 56 days when the norm is 23 - 25. It was a miracle that two of them have survived. We are on 3 hour feedings right now with watery formula and pedialyte.

I have no idea what their life expectancy will be, nor if they will be fully feathered. I don't know what their mental developement will be or even if their eyes will be fully developed and open. I do know these little ones are staying with me no matter what happens. They will be loved and cared for.

Will keep you updated with their progress.

2. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (08-14-2017), Dragonlady2 (08-12-2017), Lady (08-13-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Wow...that is amazing. Way to use your ingenuity re: the incubator. Hopefully these little guys make it.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Thanks Helena,

Hopefully these little guys make it.
    I really do as well. We are at day 10 and 7. They are growing, but very slowly. Normally I would band a bird at about 10 days, but these guys are the size of a newborn green quaker. Blues are usually smaller if there are two blue parents, but not usually this small. No sign of pins yet, but still a little early. My greens usually open their eyes close to the two week mark. We will see.

5. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-12-2017)

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    I'm so glad you were able to save Picaso and Saphire, Rosalyn. It's a lucky thing that you're so resourceful. I sure hope they develop adequately and that they ultimately enjoy good health. It's so sad about the ones that didn't make it
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

7. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-13-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Goodness, I don't think I ever read a post that had me on pins and needles till the end until now.

My what you guys have gone through must of been so hard. Knowing a life depends on what you do must be so difficult. You did a great job. Now would be a good time to get that incubator so you have it in case. How tiny they look, but I believe they are with you for a reason. I'm looking forward to all the joy they will bring to you and your family as we get to watch them grow to beautiful birds.
    and Welcome to the world Picasso and Saphire

9. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-13-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Unfortunately, Saphire perished last night and Picaso today.

Such a sad day here.

I went back over my papers from prior clutches and did a little comparison.
    My last clutch of quakers at 10 days weighed approximately 34 grams. Picaso at 10 days weighed 7, and Saphire's weight was only 4.
    I don't think either were fully developed nor was their immune system able to handle the outside world.

I wish I hadn't posted so early, but I was just so thrilled they made it that far.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    So sorry to hear this.

Administrator

Parrots

Blue & Gold Macaw "Jack" | Military Macaw "Maynard" - RIP | Hyacinth Macaw "Zaffer" - RIP | Green-wing Macaw "Salsa" | Nanday Conure "Bozley"
    Quote Originally Posted by Quakerella View Post

Unfortunately, Saphire perished last night and Picaso today.

Such a sad day here.

I went back over my papers from prior clutches and did a little comparison.
    My last clutch of quakers at 10 days weighed approximately 34 grams. Picaso at 10 days weighed 7, and Saphire's weight was only 4.
    I don't think either were fully developed nor was their immune system able to handle the outside world.

I wish I hadn't posted so early, but I was just so thrilled they made it that far.
    That's such sad news, Rosalyn . I'm sorry and I can only imagine how heartbreaking this has been for you. Something just wasn't conducive to that clutch developing normally. I suppose things like that are bound to happen on occasion. You tried hard to save them... which is all you could do. Hopefully your future clutches will develop and thrive well. And there's no problem concerning your posting about it. You simply reported the status of the little ones and your feelings and observations about them, which is a great thing to have done. Sadly, it's simply not possible to fight nature's will at times
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

Super Moderator

Parrots

Thanks Tony. You are right about it being heartbreaking. I thought they had a fighting chance. We have a special little place in the backyard for them. So small and helpless, they really pulled on your heart strings when you were with them. As with anything that happens, we move forward.

14. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (08-18-2017), Dragonlady2 (08-15-2017), Lady (08-18-2017), plax (08-15-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    Aww Roslyn,

I too am sorry that they passed. I agree that you did the best you could, although they are missed they were loved and cared for dearly.