User Tag List

Thread: Gracy (Ongoing Thread)

Parrots

Two cockatiel hens named Gracie & Matilda

Red face Gracy (Ongoing Thread)

I decided to make an ongoing thread to record her progress, as she's been making a lot of it! I Am So Proud Of My Daughter(tm)

Even though we've only been taming for a few days, she's not so frightened of hands anymore -- obviously, everything is on her own terms, and you can't move too fast, but she approaches your hand to perch beside it, eat from it, and a few days ago she actually rubbed her head against it for petting. She then got angry at me when my finger moved to, you know, pet her, but it's progress!

Her diet change is going pretty well -- she loves carrots, and she's more or less accepting of endive and kale. She's beginning to eat pellets, too! She was on the absolute worst diet so I'm pretty happy about that, even if it's a small thing.

She hasn't laid any more eggs, and her screaming has gotten less frequent. She's learned to mimic the dogs barks already, too, so she's learning more sounds! To be fair, the dogs barks aren't much more appealing, but regardless, it's pretty cute when she barks with them.

I'm wondering if it's a little early to try teaching the step up command, or if she's made enough progress to do so. I reckon I should take it at her pace, so I'll see if it's something she feels ready for.

2. The following user likes this post:

Mare (08-31-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Sounds like you are making great progress with Gracy. I don't think it is too soon to try to teach stepping up. You can use treats to entice her. The key would be to follow her lead. She will let you know if/when she is ready.

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Good for you River, sounds like Gracy is really coming around. As Helena has said follow her lead, she will let you know when she is ready. Great progress though.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    What progress you guys are having!!! Especially her diet. The taming will come if you are patient.

Establishing a routine or some type of schedule works for us. Lady is accustom to me coming home from work and opening her cage then I sit with her and give her some nuts as a treat. This is the best time for me to work with getting her to do what ever I want to work on, but at short intervals, no more that 10 or 15 minutes. Then I change her water out and sit and talk to her or play with some of her toys and interact with whatever she is interested in doing.
    Last edited by Lady; 08-13-2017 at 03:33 AM.

6. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (08-14-2017), Dragonlady2 (08-13-2017)

Parrots

Two cockatiel hens named Gracie & Matilda

Here she is in her new cage! Today she stepped up on my arm to get some millet, and we found out that she is absolutely terrified of radicchio. Fun times.

Bonus: some birb toes

8. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (08-22-2017), Dragonlady2 (08-22-2017), Lady (08-26-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Gracy is so cute, especially her toes
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

10. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-22-2017), Lady (08-26-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Gracy is beautiful.

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    She is beautiful

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    What a darling. She even looks like a Gracy. I love the pics and the expressions she has on her face.....toes.....not so much, just kidding...............

14. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (08-28-2017), Dragonlady2 (08-26-2017)

Nobility Member

Parrots

Sassy Goffin's girl, she IS Sassy Amigo, male umbrella cockatoo Chip! The cockatiel! The sweet, sweet Jellybean!
    Gracy is a beauty! Cockatiels truly are special, I love them. Happy to know you're getting to trust each other

16. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-31-2017), Lady (08-31-2017)