User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rust removal and cage setup idea

Parrots

4 budgies

Rust removal and cage setup idea

So we found this old bird cage outside when we were helping my mom unpack her stuff from moving and it's in rather good condition from what I saw and I think it just had a bit of rust on the top and corners. There was a separate cage that was bigger but it was COVERED in rust so I wanna go with the white cage instead. I know it's been out there for a few years since no one's been down there in a while but it's actually looking rather well. There are vines and stuff like that in it but that can easily be fixed. I know this cage was used for our sugar gliders a few years ago and they died so yeah. The other one had some in it as well.

I've been needing a cage for the buds to have more room so they would stop fighting so much or so I can separate the ones who are fighting and I didn't even know those two cages were still there. Both are rusted but the one I'm interested in is smaller and has less rust than the larger one. My questions are: is there something I can use to get rust off of the cage? Would the cage be too old to use especially after being outside all this time? I am definitely planning to clean it because there's no way I'm putting my babies in a nasty cage that has who knows what in it. I'll probably scrub it with soap and rinse it well to get all the dirt and gunk off of it.

This would be at least until I get a cage but if its condition is actually pretty good, would it hurt to use it? My main concern is the rust and how I could get rid of that. I feel like I've heard of a way to remove rust but I don't know any bird-safe ways to do it.

Also on the topic of the cage we're looking at, are the house shaped cages large enough for four budgies and are they good cages? I like the way they look but I don't know how big they are or anything. The cage we found has small bar spacing so that's at least a good thing. But it wouldn't make a difference since Bud once managed to get out of their cage with ALL OF THE DOORS shut. I have YET to find out how.

I'm also wondering of a way to connect two cages so that the birds will be able to go in and out whichever cage they want. I've been thinking of that for a while now just so they could have more room and if they wanted some room to themselves, they'd have a whole other room to go to. I imagine like two cages either connected at the sides or something but I don't know how I could connect them to each other unless the parts can be put together but I don't really know. So any ideas for that would be nice.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Can you take some pictures of the cage(s) so we have a better idea of what you are talking about?

Parrots

4 budgies
    I'll see if they can bring it from down there because I'm allergic to bug bites and there are like chiggers and seed ticks down there. If they can, then I'll post some pics.

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Concerning rust removal: You can take the cage to a welding shop and have them sandblast it. Doing so should safely remove all of the rust and paint - it's much preferred to a chemical option and it's far easier than using a wire brush in a drill chuck. After the sandblasting, simply re-paint the cage with a bird-safe paint, and do so well away from your birds. Make sure you let the paint cure for several days (away from your bird area) before giving them access to it.
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

5. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-07-2017), Lady (08-13-2017), Quakerella (08-08-2017)

Parrots

4 budgies
    Is it necessary to repaint it? I don't know if we have a welding shop in town though.

EDIT: I just checked and we actually have four or five of them here.
    Last edited by Rezi; 08-07-2017 at 11:11 PM.

Parrots

Quote Originally Posted by Rezi View Post
    Is it necessary to repaint it? I don't know if we have a welding shop in town though.
    If you don't paint it, some areas will likely rust again from moisture spatters. Check with google and in your local yellow pages for welding/metal fabrication shops.

8. The following 2 users like this post:

Lady (08-13-2017), Quakerella (08-08-2017)

Parrots

4 budgies
    Okay. Do you know any safe paint brands that I can use?

Parrots

Okay. Do you know any safe paint brands that I can use?
    Have a look at this: https://eartheasy.com/article_bird_safe_paints.html

The ECOS paint they recommend should be readily available in most areas (like at ACE Hardware and Home Depot).

11. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-08-2017)

Parrots

4 budgies
    Thanks! Here's some pics of the cage. We cleaned it up with a little vinegar and that got some of the rust off after scrubbing it but I'm gonna see if I can contact the welding shops I found.

Sorry it's blurry and my messy floor. Shaky hands and I just haven't gotten to clean up yet

there's the top of it where most of the rust is. It's two doors and they open up clearly on the top. Might actually be easier to get things in and out of it.

Here is the right side of it and there's a small door there. I think a food bowl could fit in there.

Here's the entire top of it and it's actually pretty big and I think a tiel could fit in there actually. I love that the bars are closer than the ones on the current cage considering Bud has managed to get out of their current cage before.

This is the back and I don't think there's any more doors on it. The top could have a ladder or something to help them climb out if they want to. It doesn't have nearly as much rust as the other one did.

13. The following user likes this post:

PlaxMacaws (08-08-2017)

Parrots

Thanks!
    You're welcome. I hope it works out.