User Tag List

Thread: Issues with flights

Parrots

4 budgies

Issues with flights

So Sam has had this issue since she first grew in her flight feathers, after her first molt or after she broke a blood feather. I'm not too sure when this started but it's a problem for her.

Every time Sam will fly off, she flaps her wings with more effort than the others, as if it's taking more energy to fly than normally. She crashes into the walls pretty often and has a bit of trouble turning and landing and always ends up with a flight feather either falling out or breaking and I just don't know how to deal with it. I'm having my mom or my gm clip all four of them so they don't fall back behind my entertainment center since Skye almost fell back there the other day but thankfully she turned just in time. She's still not used to her surroundings I guess.

But she doesn't pluck, have mites or anything and I don't know what could cause her to have such fragile feathers. Does anyone know what could be causing this? I don't currently have money since my brother's boss closed up the store due to a family issue and my mom had to quit her job so she could move back down here, so we can't see the vet. It's actually frustrating too.

But I try to keep her under control and she hasn't crashed as much as she used to. Every time she hits the wall, I pick her up and check her but lately thankfully I haven't had a problem with any broken feathers. But I'm not gonna count on that lasting for much longer since the last time I bragged on her improvement in this, she lost three the same day.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    It won't hurt to clip the first 3 or 4 flights. She should still be able to fly, but it will slow her down enough to learn how to turn and land. Do you have a play stand that you could put on the other side of the room? You could start training her to land there.

3. The following user likes this post:

Lady (08-13-2017)

Parrots

4 budgies
    I actually don't but I'm working on finding a little tree stand thing because they have various sized branches which I think would help their feet. We didn't clip hers yet because she got really stressed out but we're going to tomorrow.

Is it safe to find a large branch from the woods and use it for a play stand? I know there haven't been vehicles out in the woods but the trees closer to the house have had weed killer on them, and when a night light was replaced by the electric company, there was an oily smell left behind so I don't trust those trees. I used to have one but we got rid of it I think.

I don't know exactly what kind of trees are out there but we do have an oak tree in the front yard by the road, but I heard fumes from cars get on them and shouldn't be used. We have cedars, I think pines, and mimosa trees (the ones that grow the pink flowers). Pretty sure that mimosa is bad, but I don't know exactly. Are those safe?

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Cedar is not a safe wood for birds. You could try making a temporary station by using the back of a wooden chair, laundry rack, towel rack. I use boings that I hang from the ceiling.

If a bird was clipped before they learned to fledge, they will have a difficult time until they have learned those necessary skills and the only way they can learn them is to fly.

7. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-07-2017)

Parrots

4 budgies
    Okay then. These guys like chewing on wood. Their little play gym is "living" proof of that too. lol