User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feather issues on my painted conure

Feather issues on my painted conure

Hi everyone, I'm Chun. New to this forum and have some problems that I would like to ask to the experienced bird owners here.
    My painted conure is 14 months old on roudybush pellet diet n occasionally some almonds and walnut as treats, she has a lot torn feathers near the tail feather and shoulder area, just wondering is it anything to be worried about? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.

Your bird looks like it is overpreening. There could be lots of reasons for this and it wouldn't hurt to have a vet check her out. Maybe she is having issues with her preening gland.
    Does she have toys that she can chew, in her cage?
    Does she take a bath regularly?
    I would give her some fresh food such as chopped kale, chopped broccoli, chopped carrots, strawberries, blueberries and peppers to start with.
    As well, it wouldn't hurt to give her one or two sunflower seeds.
    Is she chewing feathers on her chest/belly?

3. The following 3 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (08-06-2017), Lady (08-06-2017), Quakerella (08-08-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Hello Chun and welcome
    She does look a bit tatty, if you can stop whatever is causing the problem the damaged feathers will be replaced over a period of time as she moults them out.
    Helena has suggested that she may be overpreening, is this the case? Or is she damaging her feathers on her cage or something? Does she mix with other birds?
    Please let us have some more information and some more pics, we love pics and they may give us some clues.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

5. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-06-2017), Quakerella (08-08-2017)

Hi thanks for the response, most of the time we will not be at home from 7am til 6pm, she is the only bird at home, I tink it might be due to Boredom because last yr I had my newborn and we had lesser time together, she does have a lot of toys in the cage. Here are some pics of chippy.

7. The following user likes this post:

Lady (08-13-2017)

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    She's lovely
    If she is bored while you are out all day try leaving a radio on for her to listen to. A radio station with a lot of talking if there is one.
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

9. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-07-2017), Mare (09-18-2017), Quakerella (08-08-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Casper's 2nd best friend View Post
    She's lovely
    If she is bored while you are out all day try leaving a radio on for her to listen to. A radio station with a lot of talking if there is one.
    Thank you, I will try to switch on the radio for her to keep her out of boredom .

11. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-07-2017), Lady (08-13-2017), Quakerella (08-08-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    She is beautiful. Try to find some toys that she can shred like wicker/straw baskets, balsa wood, thin pine pieces etc. Hopefully she will transfer her preening to another toy.

13. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (08-08-2017), Lady (08-13-2017), Mare (09-18-2017), Quakerella (08-08-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    She is a beauty, love her painted feathers. My girl likes to groom the cotton knots that come on a wooden toy she favors. She also enjoys chewing on sisal rope.
    You can make her some toys yourself if you have the time. T.V or music is also nice to keep on while she is home alone. Foraging for her food is also another way to keep her busy. You could wrap up a few nuts in a cupcake paper liner or even in a piece of brown paper bag. If she is new to foraging then just put a loose piece of paper over her food dish enough so she can see her food but has to pick out the paper. You could also use a paper towel, when the towels are all used up the brown tube can be cut down and used for toys too.

15. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-13-2017), Mare (09-18-2017)

Parrots

Black Headed Caiques, Budgies, Starling past: Conures, Macaws, Amazons, Cockatiels, Ringneck
    People have tackled boredom and over preening. But no one has mentioned this particular possibility- when the feathers grow in, are there black bars or spots on them? or do they look uniform and green?

If they are growing in with black patches as shown here, it is a malnutrition issue. Veggies high in vitamin A will help, and more fresh foods with pellets always available will go a long way.
    Squawk and Howl: Parrot-Centric Pet Sitting & Behavioral Consultations in Columbus, Ohio

We also power wash cages, offer avian catering, and more!

17. The following 4 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-12-2017), Lady (09-14-2017), plax (09-12-2017), Quakerella (09-12-2017)

Quote Originally Posted by Zhichun View Post
    Thank you, I will try to switch on the radio for her to keep her out of boredom .

Your bird just stole my heart..its beautiful!

19. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-17-2017)