User Tag List

Thread: Sliding beak across bar?

Parrots

4 budgies

Sliding beak across bar?

Okay so I got Smokey yesterday from my mom and I'm keeping her until the whole deal with moving is over and everything's settled. I actually missed her, but Bud, who was the one to look in on them when they were babies and preen the only crest feather she had, has no idea who this creature next to their cage is but the good news is that they're not freaking out at all.

But she's being quite the comedian for them. Ever since yesterday, this girl has been getting onto the cage wall and grabbing one of the bars and then she'll start swaying from side to side while dragging her beak with her and I haven't the slightest idea what this means or why she's doing it. Right now her crest is up and she's interested in either what I'm doing or she's thinking about eating my foot. I can't tell

But is this a normal thing tiels seem to do? I was actually watching a video the other day and a guy's sun conure did the same thing so is this like a thing larger parrots do? I've probably been around too many budgies to know what's the norm for the larger guys.

If this is normal, then that'd explain why I've heard of other people's birds doing it.

But overall the girl's great. Now I just gotta remember how to understand cockatiel crests again because I forgot over the past three or so months.

2. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-05-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    My crimson bellied conure does the same thing. Sometimes it will be right after I have washed his cage with vinegar and water. I can't help you with reading cockatiel crests, I've never owned one.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Illiger Macaw (Primolius maracana)
    That's something we haven't experienced either. Lady does move from side to side but I have never seen her do it with a cage bar in her beak at the same time.
    As far as a cockatiel and their crest, I'm not sure as it has been a very long time since I've spent any time with one. I'm sure you can do a search on the net and find some information about how they use it.

Glad they're not freaking out about having each other next to them, hopefully it has some socializing effects that are positive for each of them.

5. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-05-2017)

Parrots

4 budgies
    Yeah I think they get along rather well. The thing is, when I had Priscilla and Elvis (Smokey's parents), Bud would always fly over to the cages and bother the tiels and Elvis grabbed his foot one day and so I started covering the cages if I got the buds out. It's a shame that I couldn't get the tiels out without chaos but they're with my aunt now and doing pretty good.

Bud was interested in Smokey and I even caught this pic from when she was a baby:

Last night they were on her cage and just stealing her treat from her. Bud was the one to chatter at Smokey rather than the other way around. But Lemon's pretty calm around her. He's always calm though so I'm not surprised. They'll probably warm up to her again. She did get a lot bigger after all over the past three months that she's been gone so it's understandable for them to be frightened by her.

Parrots

Black Headed Caiques, Budgies, Starling past: Conures, Macaws, Amazons, Cockatiels, Ringneck
    Some parrots do the beak wiping or sliding as a mark of territorial possession (Mine! But I will share) or aggression (Mine, go away!).
    Squawk and Howl: Parrot-Centric Pet Sitting & Behavioral Consultations in Columbus, Ohio

We also power wash cages, offer avian catering, and more!

8. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-12-2017), Lady (09-14-2017), plax (09-12-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    I don't know how I completely missed this thread.

Probably a little late, but better late than never.

If a cockatiels crest is straight back on its head he may be feeling aggressive or angry. If the crest is straight forward he may be startled or scared. If the crest is somewhat relaxed but still raised he is alert and careful of its surroundings. A relaxed crest is a content bird.

10. The following 3 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (09-12-2017), Lady (09-14-2017), plax (09-12-2017)