User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are plastic tupperware bins safe?

Parrots

Two cockatiel hens named Gracie & Matilda

Are plastic tupperware bins safe?

Gracy laid an egg.
    In her water dish.
    I know I need to move the egg and keep it in a box/basket/etc. on the floor lined with paper towels, but I just realized I cannot find any boxes, spare for plastic tupperware. Will this do?

Last edited by rivx; 08-01-2017 at 09:32 PM.

Parrots

Casper, a blue fronted Amazon. Loves banana. Hates plastic bags and red coats.
    Has she been near any males of the species?
    Tupperware should be good, anything leeching out of the plastic would probably take several birdy lifetimes before it built up enough to be toxic. And you wouldn't have the lid on I hope
    "A busy beak is a happy beak" - David Strom

Parrots

Yep, no lid! I put it in and she's so far been ignoring it, but I'll leave it there anyhow.
    Not as far as I'm concerned, nope! I don't know much about all of her past homes, though, but I think it's safe to say she's infertile.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    As long as she doesn't begin chewing the plastic, it should be fine.

Parrots

Great!
    Should I wait the full 21 days before letting her into her new cage (assuming she's comfortable with the transition we've planned), or just move the nest with her?
    Not sure what's best for a nesting bird, but I couldn't find this info. elsewhere!

Parrots

An update on this:

After consulting w/ her old foster parent, she is indeed a chronic layer. Wish I'd been told sooner, but, it's alright. We can deal with it now, and that's good!

Now she's on 14 hours of sleep, lots of calcium + protein + orange veggies for her immune system. Let's hope it goes well <3

7. The following 2 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (08-01-2017), Dragonlady2 (08-02-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    I think you can transition her with her"nest" into the new cage. She might enjoy the extra room.

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    You could move the nest with her to her new cage.

If Gracy is a chronic layer I would consider getting dummy eggs and leaving them in the nest in the cage. She may ignore them, or she may incubate them, but it may stop her from laying as frequently as she does.

You are on the right track, but over supplementing can also be dangerous if she is on a pellet diet.

You can learn a lot about a bird from the egg. If you don't mind me asking can you describe it.

Is it smooth or rough, does it have any dents in it, does it have spiraling lines (very faint, probably need a light), and any other characteristics?

10. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-03-2017), Lady (08-04-2017)

Parrots

Thanks for the tip! I'll get some white marbles or something to put in as her 'eggs'.

She's not yet on a pellet diet, but I'll keep that in mind once she is (finally) eating them.

I did go check on the egg. It's quite smooth, and I didn't see any noticeable dents -- there's also no spiral pattern. It has a slight pinkish tint to it, which I've heard means infertile. Parts of the shell do look a tad thinner than others, but nothing I would've noticed without the light. She hasn't nested on it, but she does look at it sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by rivx View Post
    Gracy laid an egg.
    In her water dish.
    I know I need to move the egg and keep it in a box/basket/etc. on the floor lined with paper towels, but I just realized I cannot find any boxes, spare for plastic tupperware. Will this do?

I too think that you should move her into a new cage along with her nest.

13. The following user likes this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-19-2017)