User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Newish budgie...

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    Maybe I misunderstood. It sounded like Dobi escaped out of your home. Do you mean he just escaped in the house? Are you getting another budgie to cage with Dobi?

Parrots

Budgie named "Dobi"
    I probably will considering I want him to be happy, despite his lack of desire to bond with people. He escaped his cage and flew into a few walls, and because I was worried he'd get hurt I chased him around. Plus my cat was loose and didn't want the cat to hurt him.

Super Moderator

Parrots

Willy-Eclectus, Oliver-alexandrine, Mookie-Senegal, Bella- Australian King, Joey and Peewee- Barrabands, Peachiegirl-Peachfront conure, Pepper- crimson belly conure, Peanut-plum head, Babyblue-parrotlette, Harry and Louie-canaries.
    If your cat is in the same room as Dobi, that may be one of the reasons that you are having difficulty training Dobi. Dobi may be stressed out thinking your cat is a danger to him and he would be right. Cats should not be in the same room as birds. A stressed bird will suffer.
    I have a bird net that I used to catch my diamond doves when they escaped. You could invest in one to make it easier to catch Dobi if he gets out.
    If you get another bird, just watch to make sure they get along and don't injure each other. I hope you can find a nice friend for Dobi.

4. The following 3 users like this post:

Lady (08-13-2017), PlaxMacaws (08-08-2017), Quakerella (08-08-2017)

Super Moderator

Parrots

8 quaker parakeets, 4 Indian Ringneck parakeets, 3 lovebirds, 5 cockatiels
    Bonding with birds is really no different than bonding with people. When you first meet someone you are not going to tell them your deepest secrets. You give it time so you know you can trust them. First you have to figure out if you like them and are comfortable with them.

When you first get a bird they are not going to trust you either. This takes time and there is no set rule as to how long. Patience and perserverance are the key.

I agree with Helena, try to keep your cat as far away from Dobi as possible.

Don't quit, keep trying. The reward is worth it in the end.

6. The following 4 users like this post:

Casper's 2nd best friend (08-08-2017), Dragonlady2 (08-08-2017), Lady (08-13-2017), PlaxMacaws (08-08-2017)

Parrots

Budgie named "Dobi"
    Dobi doesn't stay alone with the cat. I keep the bird in the bedroom. The cat could be a source of stress but can't keep the cat locked up all day. Dobi hit his face on the wall and may have injured himself but he's not visibly injured from my point of view.

Parrots

Budgie named "Dobi"
    I'll give it another month or so before getting another budgie. Maybe I can find a breeder nearby who hand rears budgies.

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdtraineewhat View Post
    Dobi doesn't stay alone with the cat. I keep the bird in the bedroom. The cat could be a source of stress but can't keep the cat locked up all day. Dobi hit his face on the wall and may have injured himself but he's not visibly injured from my point of view.
    Some things to consider: If Dobi (or any bird) flies within range of a cat and the cat swipes, the action will occur so quickly that your presence in the room will make little difference. Just one scratch from a cat claw can infect a bird with a normally present bacteria called pasteurella and thus impose painful and rapid death upon the bird. If Dobi is out of his cage in your bedroom, your cat should not be in the bedroom as well. At times, cats can even terrorize and kill birds while in their cages, pulling the cages onto the floor, etc. Please have a look at the following member posts:

https://www.preciselyparrots.com/sho...2591#post32591

https://www.preciselyparrots.com/sho...0704#post20704

Careful planning can go a long way toward preventing catastrophe in multi-species households
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

10. The following 2 users like this post:

Dragonlady2 (08-08-2017), Lady (08-13-2017)

Parrots

Budgie named "Dobi"
    The cat is learning to steer clear of the bird cage if he doesn't want to get shot with water and put in his crate. The cage is generally within arms reach of me and carefully monitored. I don't take Dobi out at all right now and when I do the cat will be crated.

Parrots

Budgie named "Dobi"
    I do suppose anything bad happening would indeed be a CAT-tasrophe.

Parrots

B&G (Jack) | MM (Maynard) - RIP | Hy (Zaf) - RIP | GW (Salsa) | NC (Bozley)
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdtraineewhat View Post
    The cat is learning to steer clear of the bird cage if he doesn't want to get shot with water and put in his crate. The cage is generally within arms reach of me and carefully monitored. I don't take Dobi out at all right now and when I do the cat will be crated.
    Very good on your decision to never allow Dobi out of his cage unless the cat is crated, considering that Dobi has already proven he may escape your control. And it's important to realize that deterrent-training a cat is not something one will want to depend upon when it comes to a pet bird's physical safety - even trained pets aren't 100% predictable. As such, the most critical thing you can do will be to never lapse on your practice of physically isolating Dobi from your cat. After all, all it takes is one incident and it may be over for poor Dobi
    He wanted to live. He was my Heaven... He's gone!

14. The following 3 users like this post:

Birdtraineewhat (08-08-2017), Dragonlady2 (08-09-2017), Lady (08-13-2017)